Auckland witness recalls stabbed Indian cabbie’s horrific last moments before deathFebruary 1st, 2010 - 3:01 pm ICT by ANI
Auckland, Feb 1(ANI): A witness, who rushed to the aid of dying Indian-origin taxi driver Hiren Mohini, has revealed that the 39-year-old was slumped over the steering wheel, bleeding from knife wounds to his neck and chest, with his foot on the accelerator.
Mohini, a Mount Roskill resident, was driving an Auckland Co-op taxi, which veered off the road and hit a tree around 1.30 a.m., after allegedly being stabbed by a passenger.
He died on an ambulance stretcher minutes after the incident, in what police described as a frenzied attack.
The witness, Adam Couper, who lives nearby the crash site and was one of the first on the scene, said that he heard a loud thud and rushed across the road, where he saw the car rammed up against the fence.
“By the time we got there the car was already stopped, but the driver was sort of slumped over and had his foot on the gas - he was doing a burn-out. One of my flatmates was in there trying to help, moved his head back so he could breathe but there wasn’t much we could do,” New Zealand Herald quoted Couper, as saying.
Couper further said that Mohini’s injuries were horrific, as found in the post mortem reports.
“He had a knife wound to his neck as well as a pretty good stab to his chest. He was bleeding pretty profusely and there was blood all over the door,” he said.
He also said that the neighbours tried desperately to staunch the taxi driver’s wounds with towels, while they waited for the ambulance, which arrived in five or six minutes. (ANI)
- Inquiry launched into Indian-origin taxi driver's death in Auckland - Jan 31, 2010
- Knife used for murder Indian-origin taxi driver in Auckland found - Feb 01, 2010
- NZ police spread ambit of hunt for Indian-origin taxi driver's killer - Feb 02, 2010
- Indian-origin Hiren Mohini's suspected killer has left country: New Zealand Police - Feb 28, 2010
- Indian-origin taxi driver Mohini's killer's identification provides solace to his widow - Mar 01, 2010
- India-origin taxi driver's death in Auckland an "unimaginable and unfathomable event" - Feb 04, 2010
- New Zealand police issue photo of Indian-origin taxi driver's suspected killer - Feb 06, 2010
- Indian-origin taxi driver Hiren Mohini's murderer hid badly injured leg before escape - Mar 11, 2010
- Indian-origin cabbie Hiren Mohini's widow 'confused' whether to attend trial in China - Jan 14, 2011
- Knife used in Indian's fatal stabbing in New Zealand found - Feb 01, 2010
- Auckland cabbie Hiren Mohini's wife wants to confront murder suspect - Dec 26, 2010
- Indian taxi driver fatally stabbed in New Zealand (Lead) - Jan 31, 2010
- Attack on Indian in Auckland would shock even criminals: police - Feb 02, 2010
- Suspect in Indian's murder in New Zealand arrested in China - Jun 14, 2010
- New Zealand raise 100,000 dollars for slain Indian-origin cabbie Mohini's family - Apr 14, 2010
Tags: accelerator, ambulance, cabbie, crash site, fence, flatmates, foot on the gas, indian origin, loud thud, mohini, mount roskill, neighbours, new zealand herald, post mortem, six minutes, stab, steering wheel, stretcher, taxi driver, wounds