Attack during football match kills six in GuatemalaFebruary 20th, 2009 - 4:25 am ICT by IANS
Guatemala City, Feb 20 (IANS) Six people were killed and 11 wounded when a gang opened fire on players and fans at a football match in Guatemala City, EFE reported Friday.
Two teams were playing five-a-side football match on a basketball court in the Santa Fe neighborhood in the capital city Wednesday when the attack occurred.
According to police, at least three men on two motorcycles and two others in the stands opened fire on the players and the people watching the game, killing six youths, including a 16-year-old pregnant girl.
Witnesses told police that the attackers are members of a gang operating in an area known as La Isla, in the Santa Fe neighborhood, which is near the capital’s La Aurora International Airport.
The motive behind the attack remained unknown.
Guatemala, Honduras and El Salvador are among the most violent countries in Latin America. In the last year in Guatemala alone,
6,200 people were murdered.
Violence in Guatemala is connected to the drug trade and the youth gangs called Maras, who are known to terrorize entire neighbourhoods.
– Indo-Asian News Service
- Three women tortured, killed in El Salvador - Jan 16, 2012
- Four die in Guatemala plane crash - May 27, 2010
- Priest gunned down in Guatemala - Jan 28, 2012
- Gunman kills five in Colombia - Jul 28, 2012
- Over 100 trafficked people rescued in Mexico - Nov 15, 2010
- Gunmen kill eight at Guatemala disco - Jan 23, 2012
- Deadly prison fire an accident: Honduras - Feb 22, 2012
- Volcano eruption in Guatemala kills one, injures 20 as 'state of calamity' is declared - May 28, 2010
- 89 die in Central America rains - Oct 17, 2011
- 23 die as hurricane rains hit Central America - Oct 13, 2011
- Tropical storm Agatha kills 40 in Guatemala (Lead) - May 31, 2010
- Volcano eruption in Guatemala kills three, another eruption is expected - May 28, 2010
- Guatemala's national airport to remain closed as Pacaya volcano erupts again - May 29, 2010
- 73 killed, 1,000 hurt in Egypt football stadium violence (Second Lead) - Feb 02, 2012
- Journalist slain in Honduras - Dec 07, 2011
Tags: asian news, attackers, basketball court, city feb, countries in latin america, efe, football match, guatemala city, indo, la aurora, maras, neighbourhoods, pregnant girl, santa fe, side football, skp, three men, violent countries, watching the game, youth gangs