Atletic Madrid cancel contract of SeitaridisMay 13th, 2009 - 10:40 pm ICT by IANS
Madrid, May 13 (DPA) Spanish football club Atletico Madrid announced Wednesday that they had cancelled the contract of Greek defender Giorgios Seitaridis, which was due to expire in June 2010.
Seitardidis is the second player to be released by Atletico this month, following in the footsteps of Portugal veteran Maniche.
The same as Maniche, Seitaridis had disciplinary problems with coach Abel Resino, and had been suspended for failing to turn up for a match in April.
Seitaridis, 27, caught the eye when helping Greece to triumph at Euro 2004. Two years later he joined Atletico from Dynamo Moscow.
Atletico are currently fifth in La Liga and keen to return to the Champions League, in which they reached the round of 16 this season.
- Granada sack coach Fabri - Jan 23, 2012
- Villarreal beat Sporting Gijon, climb out of bottom three - Jan 24, 2012
- Deportivo La Coruna signs Portuguese winger Pizzi - Jul 12, 2012
- Atletico the toast of Spanish football after surviving in Anfield - Apr 30, 2010
- Portuguese player Sabrosa joins Espanyol - Aug 18, 2012
- Focused on helping Real win La Liga: Ronaldo - Nov 18, 2011
- Euro 2012: Ronaldo key for Portugal - Jun 02, 2012
- Eurozone agrees to bail out Spanish banks - Jun 10, 2012
- Champions League: Malaga beat Panathinaikos - Aug 23, 2012
- Spanish Supercup to be held in China - Jun 02, 2012
- Troubled Atletico Madrid return to 'scene of crime' - Sep 29, 2009
- Europa League: Atletico Madrid qualifies for knock-out stages - Dec 16, 2011
- Atletico confirm coach Manzano's sacking - Dec 23, 2011
- Chelsea get tricky draw; Madrid, City in group of death - Aug 31, 2012
- Euro 2012: Greek grit secures win, knocks out Russia - Jun 17, 2012
Tags: abel, atletic madrid, champions league, club atletico madrid, coach, disciplinary problems, dpa, dynamo moscow, euro 2004, football club, footsteps, greece, match, portugal, seitaridis, spanish football, veteran