Atlantis docks with space station one last timeJuly 10th, 2011 - 11:32 pm ICT by IANS
Washington, July 10 (IANS) Space shuttle Atlantis Sunday arrived at the International Space Station (ISS) for one final visit.
It docked at the station at 1507 GMT, space.com reported. The hatches between the shuttle and the station will be opened after the crews complete checking for any leaks between the seals, it said.
Atlantis was launched Friday from NASA’s Kennedy Space Centre in Florida. Its four astronauts will be joined by six others currently working at the orbiting station.
The shuttle’s 12-day mission is to deliver food and equipment. It is carrying a system called the Robotic Refuelling Mission, which will test methods to robotically refuel and repair satellites in orbit. The refuelling mission will be installed on the exterior of the station.
Shuttle commander Chris Ferguson, pilot Doug Hurley, and mission specialists Sandra Magnus and Rex Walheim plan to remain at the space station till July 18, when they are due to undock Atlantis and head home to Earth.
Thousands of people, including some who came to the Kennedy Space Centre three decades ago for the first launch, had gathered Friday to witness Atlantis’ final mission.
Atlantis will be on display at the Kennedy Space Centre after it returns to Earth, ending the US’ 30-year space shuttle programme. Other retired shuttle orbiters will also be displayed at various scientific institutions in the US.
- Atlantis docks for last time with International Space Station - Jul 11, 2011
- Atlantis' landing ends final mission after 30 years of space shuttle era - Jul 21, 2011
- NASA final shuttle launch scheduled for July 8 - May 21, 2011
- NASA's space shuttle Endeavour docks with International Space Station - May 19, 2011
- NASA's space shuttle Endeavour prepares to leave space station, return to Earth - May 29, 2011
- Space shuttle Atlantis makes final landing - Jul 21, 2011
- Space shuttle Endeavour returns to Earth after final mission - Jun 01, 2011
- NASA sets farewell shuttle launch July 8 - Jun 29, 2011
- Discovery's last mission extended by a day - Mar 04, 2011
- Space shuttle Discovery set to return to Earth for final time - Mar 08, 2011
- Russian cargo spacecraft docks with ISS - Nov 02, 2011
- Space station crew lands in Kazakhstan - Apr 27, 2012
- NASA transfers shuttle Discovery to museum - Apr 20, 2012
- Private US spacecraft lands in Pacific Ocean - Jun 01, 2012
- Russian spacecraft undocks from ISS - Nov 22, 2011
Tags: astronauts, atlantis docks, chris ferguson, docks with space station, doug hurley, earth thousands, hatches, international space station, kennedy space centre, launch, magnus, mission specialists, nasa, rex walheim, scientific institutions, shuttle commander, space shuttle atlantis, space station iss, three decades, time washington