‘Atheist’ Oz PM Gillard urged to use more religious terms in condolence speechesNovember 27th, 2010 - 4:04 pm ICT by ANI
Canberra, Nov 27 (ANI): Australian Prime Minister Julia Gillard has been advised by professional speechwriters to make use of more ‘religious languages’ at times of national grief, despite her professed atheism.
While expressing her, and the nation’s heartfelt sympathies for the families of the victims of the Greymouth mine disaster earlier this week, the Prime Minister reportedly avoided the use of religious language in her speech.
According to news.com.au, in a recorded statement, Gillard simply expressed her “condolences . . . best wishes, sympathy and support”.
Earlier during the recent federal election campaign when the Minister for Foreign Affairs Kevin Rudd was hospitalised for a surgery, Gillard said: “our prayers are with Kevin.”
Dr Michael Fullilove, a former adviser to Paul Keating and editor of a selection of Australian political speeches, praised Gillard’s for her direct and honest remarks, but added that there was no restriction on her to avoid prayers or references to God in such circumstances.
Dr Fullilove said: “The problem comes because Gillard is both an individual and a representative of the nation,” adding that modern Australian leaders, especially from the Labor side, tended to refer to God “lightly” or “obliquely”.
Meanwhile Dennis Glover, a former speechwriter for Mark Latham, said it would take time for Gillard to “find her rhetorical range”.
“A lot of people are atheists in modern Australia and people would expect her to be truthful rather than hypocritical,” he added. (ANI)
- Hindus laud Vatican for effort in uniting believers & non-believers - Jan 31, 2011
- Hindus back Pope's dictum that 'world needs God' - Jan 08, 2011
- Hindus denounce Pope for being offensive to atheists - Sep 17, 2010
- Oz Labour leader claims PM Julia Gillard stroked him - Aug 10, 2010
- Atheist Oz PM Gillard says she respects the church - Jul 29, 2010
- Now, 'How to arrest a witch' guide for UK cops! - Nov 01, 2010
- Usher's injured stepson dead - Jul 22, 2012
- A Britsh queen stops Australia from being great: Former PM - Dec 17, 2011
- Katy Perry learned to speak in tongues as a child - Aug 04, 2010
- Australian PM's partner wishes to marry her - May 15, 2011
- Gillard's ratings plunge after budget - May 16, 2011
- Aussie PM downplays Hillary Clinton's gaffe - Nov 07, 2010
- Atheists launch billboard crusade to target devout Christian population in Florida - Jun 25, 2010
- Confusion about Australian PM was mistake: Dalai Lama's office - Jun 14, 2011
- Australia's foreign minister quits - Feb 22, 2012
Tags: atheism, atheists, australian leaders, australian prime minister, condolences, dennis glover, dr michael, federal election campaign, heartfelt sympathies, julia gillard, kevin rudd, mark latham, national grief, news com au, paul keating, political speeches, religious language, religious terms, speechwriter, speechwriters