At least 50 missing as trawler capsizes in Bangladesh (Lead)February 19th, 2009 - 3:04 pm ICT by IANS
Dhaka, Feb 19 (Xinhua) At least 50 people were missing Thursday when a passenger trawler capsized on a river in Bangladesh’s southern Barisal district, the police said.
Earlier reports said that at least 100 people were missing when the trawler carrying 150 people capsized on the Kirtonkhola River.
District police chief Tawfiq Mahbub Chowdhury said Thursday the trawler carrying 150 people capsized on the Kirtonkhola river after it rammed into a cargo vessel from behind at around 6.50 a.m.
“Initially it seemed that around 100 people were missing but now we have been confirmed that only around 50 passengers of the ferry remained missing,” he said, adding that some more passengers were found alive from the nearby areas.
Police officer Sekandar Ali said on telephone from the accident site that many of the missing people are feared drowned in the river. A rescue ship has already started its operation. Only one body that of a woman has been pulled out of the water so far.
He said low visibility due to the dense fog might have caused the accident.
Rafiqul Islam, deputy director of Bangladesh Inland Water Transport Authority (BIWTA), who is in-charge of the rescue operation, said the river is about 30 to 35 feet deep in that part of the area.
Boat accidents are common in Bangladesh, with some 250 rivers criss-crossing the country; it is a major mode of transport for many.
- At least 100 missing as trawler capsizes in Bangladesh - Feb 19, 2009
- 75 missing as trawler capsizes in Bangladesh - Jul 31, 2011
- 20 die in Bangladesh boat capsize - Apr 21, 2011
- Bengal trawler capsize toll rises to 82 - Nov 04, 2010
- All 35 dead in Bangladesh boat tragedy women, kids - Dec 19, 2010
- Bengal trawler tragedy: Search operations resume - Oct 31, 2010
- Seven killed in Bangladesh boat capsize - Jul 07, 2011
- 35 dead, 10 missing in Bangladesh boat capsize - Dec 19, 2010
- Seven people drown in West Bengal - Sep 15, 2010
- Three drown, one missing in Maharashtra - Dec 05, 2010
- Bengal trawler capsize: Toll now 20 (Lead) - Oct 31, 2010
- 18 drowned, over 50 missing in Bengal trawler capsize (Second Lead) - Oct 30, 2010
- Bengal trawler capsize toll rises to 23, 100 missing (Second Lead) - Oct 31, 2010
- 40 missing in Bihar boat accident - Oct 11, 2010
- Bengal trawler tragedy toll rises to 42 (Lead) - Nov 01, 2010
Tags: bangladesh, barisal district, boat accidents, cargo vessel, chowdhury, dense fog, deputy director, district police, inland water transport, islam, major mode, missing people, nearby areas, police chief, police officer, rescue ship, transport authority, trawler, visibility, xinhua