At least 40 killed in Nigeria clashesJuly 27th, 2009 - 1:40 am ICT by IANS
Nairobi/Abuja, July 27 (DPA) At least 40 people have died in clashes between an Islamist sect and police in northern Nigeria, reports said Sunday.
Broadcaster Al-Jazeera reported that around 70 Nigerians wielding guns and hand grenades attacked a police station in Bauchi early Sunday morning.
The police repelled the attack. Some 42 people are believed to have died and dozens more have been injured, although it was not clear how many of the casualties were police officers.
Nigerian police claimed to have arrested over 100 fighters after the battle.
The fighters were part of Boko Haram, a group sometimes called the Nigerian Taliban, which wants to impose sharia, or Islamic law, across all of Nigeria.
Nigeria, Africa’s most populous nation, is split between the Muslim north and the Christian and animist south.
The north has been gradually implementing stricter Islamic law, which has led to trouble with Christian groups.
Clashes in Bauchi earlier this year left five people dead and several churches and mosques gutted by fire.
Hundreds died in the city of Jos, the capital of Plateau State, last November when local elections degenerated into bloody clashes.
- Nigerian Islamists flee army onslaught: Report - Jul 30, 2009
- Nigerian police lay siege to Islamist base - Jul 29, 2009
- Nigerian police kill Islamist leader, face criticism (Lead, Changing dateline) - Jul 31, 2009
- Nigeria: Death toll in Jos church attack reaches 19 - Mar 13, 2012
- Radical Islamist sect claims responsibility for Nigeria church attacks - Dec 29, 2010
- 11 killed in Nigeria church blasts during Christmas prayers (Lead) - Dec 25, 2011
- U.S. warns of terrorist attacks in Nigerian capital - Nov 07, 2011
- 25 killed in Nigeria bomb blasts - Jun 27, 2011
- 25 killed in Nigeria church blast - Dec 26, 2011
- Nigeria terror attack toll rises to 162 - Jan 22, 2012
- Toll in Nigeria blasts reaches 80 - Dec 28, 2010
- Over 100 killed in Nigerian church attacks : UN - Jun 23, 2012
- Thousands flee after clashes between Nigerian security forces and militants - Dec 29, 2011
- Nigerian army on alert after sectarian massacre - Mar 08, 2010
- Toll in Nigerian clashes now put at over 600 - Aug 03, 2009
Tags: abuja, al jazeera, animist, bloody clashes, boko, broadcaster, christian groups, hand grenades, islamic law, last november, local elections, mosques, muslim north, nigeria africa, nigerian police, nigerians, northern nigeria, plateau state, police station, populous nation