At least 40 killed in Karachi slum fireJanuary 9th, 2009 - 11:36 am ICT by IANS
Karachi, Jan 9 (IANS) At least 40 people, including children and women, were killed as a massive fire broke out in a slum here, Geo TV reported Friday.People were asleep when the fire broke out in the sector five locality in north Karachi, resulting in the death of so many people, the report said.
“Sleeping residents were reportedly engulfed by fire, which spread so rapidly that many victims were unable to even flee the shacks in which they live. Some of the dead were burned beyond recognition,” the report said.
Over two dozens completely burnt bodies, including that of 15 children and women, were shifted to different hospitals, Geo TV said quoting sources.
Though the cause of the fire was not yet established, residents said it started when a power line fell on the roof of a shanty.
Fire service officials and locals were busy bringing the blaze under control.
- 239 die as blaze engulfs two factories in Pakistan (Fourth Lead) - Sep 12, 2012
- Thousands left homeless as jhuggis gutted in Delhi - Jun 01, 2012
- 45 killed in factory fires in Pakistan (Lead) - Sep 12, 2012
- 100 die in Pakistan as two factories go up in flames (Second Lead) - Sep 12, 2012
- 135 die as flames engulf two factories in Pakistan (Third Lead) - Sep 12, 2012
- Hundreds homeless as shacks gutted in Delhi (Lead) - Jun 01, 2012
- 100 shanties gutted in Delhi fire (Lead) - Jun 22, 2012
- Fire at slum cluster in Delhi - Jun 22, 2012
- Fire guts 200 shanties in Bangladesh - Feb 19, 2012
- Four killed in Delhi warehouse fire - Nov 13, 2011
- Over 100 dead in Kenya fuel pipeline fire - Sep 12, 2011
- 350 dead in Honduras prison fire (Lead) - Feb 15, 2012
- Factory gutted in Kolkata - Apr 01, 2012
- Hundreds of shanties gutted in New Delhi - Apr 18, 2010
- 4 killed, 40 trapped as fire sweeps cracker factory - Feb 20, 2012