At least 38 dead in Peru bus crashFebruary 23rd, 2010 - 2:21 am ICT by IANS
Lima, Feb 23 (DPA) At least 38 people were killed and 56 others injured Monday when two buses collided in the northwestern Peruvian region of La Libertad, police said.
Officials were unable to provide a reason for the accident, which took place on the Pan-American road, in the province of Viru. There were a total of 150 people on both buses, and the number of casualties could increase, local media reports said.
A crowded bus travelling from Peruvian capital Lima to the northwestern city of Chiclayo crashed with another bus travelling from Chimbote to La Libertad regional capital Trujillo.
Bus accidents are relatively common in Peru, particularly on poorly maintained Andean roads, and are often due to driver negligence or badly maintained vehicles.
The Pan-American road, however, is in generally good shape and goes through flat terrain.
- 21 killed in Peru bus accident - Aug 11, 2010
- 20 killed, 42 injured in Peru bus crash - Feb 23, 2010
- 17 die in Peru road accident - Apr 02, 2011
- 15 die in Peru bus accident - Sep 14, 2012
- Man trapped in Peru gold mine rescued - Apr 20, 2012
- 15 killed in Peru road accident (Lead) - Mar 17, 2012
- Peru honours singer Tania Libertad for 50-year career - May 07, 2012
- 12 die in Peru bus collision - Aug 29, 2010
- 19 dead in Peru bus accident - Feb 26, 2011
- 15 killed in Peru road accident - Mar 17, 2012
- Seven dead after small plane crash in Ica, Peru - Feb 26, 2010
- 15 dead in Peru accident - Jun 29, 2010
- Bodies of two US mountaineers found in Peru - Jul 30, 2012
- 17 killed in Peru bus accident - Nov 19, 2010
- 14 killed in Peru bus collision - Mar 16, 2008
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,