At least 35 killed in Iraq suicide attack (Second lead)February 13th, 2009 - 6:58 pm ICT by IANS
Baghdad, Feb 13 (Xinhua) At least 35 pilgrims were killed and 65 others injured in a suicide attack south of the Iraqi capital Friday, a police source said.
According to the police source, a female suicide bomber wearing explosive vest exploded herself among a procession of Shia pilgrims in Mussayab, 44 km south of Baghdad.
Most of the victims were women and children, said the police official on condition of anonymity as he was not authorised to disclose information.
Tens of thousands of Shia pilgrims are marching from different Iraqi provinces to the holy city of Karbala to commemorate Arbaeen ritual observed to mark the end of 40 days of mourning for Imam Hussein, grandson of Prophet Muhammad.
Recently, Shia pilgrims have been targeted successively during such a ritual. At least eight pilgrims were killed Thursday in Karbala near the shrine of Imam Hussein.
A new round of violence surged across Iraq after the provincial elections last month, raising fear that a fragile security situation could be reversed.
Major Shia commemorations have frequently been targeted in the past by suspected Sunni insurgents led by Al Qaeda in Iraq in their drive to incite sectarian violence in the war-torn country.
- 50 killed in Iraq suicide bombing (Lead) - Jan 14, 2012
- Suicide bomber kills 53 in Iraq - Jan 15, 2012
- 60 dead in attack on Iraqi Shias, bombings (Lead) - Jan 05, 2012
- Three die, 30 hurt in Iraq bombings - Dec 12, 2010
- Suicide bombings kill at least ten people in central Iraq - Jan 20, 2011
- Car bombs rock Iraqi city of Karbala, 12 dead, 150 wounded - Jan 24, 2011
- 16 killed in Iraq suicide attack - Feb 01, 2010
- 20 killed, 75 injured in Iraq blasts - Feb 05, 2010
- 12 killed in Iraq suicide attack - Feb 21, 2011
- 27 killed, 75 injured in Iraq bombings (Lead, changing dateline) - Feb 05, 2010
- 42 killed, 100 injured in attacks in Karbala (Second lead, changing dateline) - Feb 06, 2010
- 22 killed in Iraq violence - Jul 28, 2010
- 25 pilgrims killed in Iraq bombings (Second Lead) - Feb 04, 2010
- 16 killed in Pakistan blast, no terror link (Lead) - Jan 15, 2012
- Suicide bomber kills 41 pilgrims in Iraq (Lead) - Feb 01, 2010
Tags: al qaeda in iraq, anonymity, female suicide bomber, fragile security, holy city, imam hussein, insurgents, iraqi capital, karbala, pilgrims, police official, police source, procession, prophet muhammad, provincial elections, raising fear, sectarian violence, security situation, suicide attack, xinhua