At least 30 suspected militants killed in AfghanistanJune 11th, 2008 - 11:54 pm ICT by IANS
Kabul, June 11 (Xinhua) At least 30 Taliban insurgents were killed by US-led coalition forces in eastern Afghanistan, an official said Wednesday. The foreign troops targeted the militants’ hideouts in Matakhand district in eastern province of Paktika Tuesday night, killing about 30 militants, Ghamai Khan Mohammadyar, provincial government spokesman, said.
Musa Khan, the head of the provincial council of Paktika, told media that several civilians were among the victims of the night raids Tuesday.
The coalition forces, meanwhile, said that several militants were killed and 12 were detained Tuesday during the operation aimed at disrupting militant operations in Paktika province.
The operation conducted in Matakhand district also resulted in four civilian deaths and one civilian injury, the coalition forces said in a statement.
Escalating militancy-related conflicts in Afghanistan claimed more than 8,000 lives last year, the bloodiest since 2001 when the hard-line Taliban regime collapsed and the militants went into a years-long insurgency.
- Over 60 militants killed in Afghanistan - Nov 09, 2011
- 11 militants killed in Afghanistan - Mar 06, 2011
- 100 militants killed in Afghan operation - Jul 23, 2011
- 21 militants killed, 19 held in Afghanistan - Oct 15, 2011
- 61 militants killed in Afghanistan - Jul 04, 2012
- Troops kill 19 militants in Afghanistan - Jun 09, 2010
- 20 civilians die in Afghan mine blast - Jul 01, 2011
- 20 killed as suicide bomber targets funeral in Afghanistan (Lead) - Sep 04, 2012
- Leader of Haqqani network killed in Afghanistan - Oct 05, 2011
- 25 killed as insurgent attack foiled in Afghanistan - Oct 08, 2011
- 33 insurgents killed in Afghanistan - Aug 26, 2012
- Taliban kill 35 road workers: Afghan official - May 19, 2011
- 40 Taliban militants killed in Afghanistan - Jul 28, 2012
- 20 Taliban fighters lay down arms - Jan 16, 2012
- 10 militants killed in Afghanistan - Oct 31, 2010
Tags: civilian deaths, civilians, coalition forces, conflicts, eastern afghanistan, eastern province, government spokesman, hideouts, insurgents, kabul, musa khan, provincial council, provincial government, regime, taliban, tuesday night, xinhua