Asylum seekers in developed nations increase: UNMarch 25th, 2009 - 6:38 pm ICT by IANS
Geneva, March 25 (Xinhua) The number of asylum seekers in industrialised countries continued to increase last year with some 383,000 new applications, the UN High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) has said.
New asylum applications submitted last year in 51 industrialised countries increased 12 percent compared to 2007, when there were some 341,000 applications, according to provisional figures released by the agency Tuesday.
“The increase can partly be attributed to higher numbers of asylum applications by citizens of Afghanistan, Somalia and other countries experiencing turmoil or conflict,” UNHCR spokesman Ron Redmond told a news briefing in Geneva.
“Although the number of Iraqi asylum seekers declined by 10 percent in 2008, Iraqis continued to be the largest nationality seeking asylum in the industrialised world,” he said.
According to UNHCR, the top country of origin of asylum applicants in 2008 was Iraq (40,500), followed by Somalia (21,800), the Russian Federation (20,500) and Afghanistan (18,500).
“The United States continued to be the main country of destination for asylum seekers of all nationalities in 2008, with an estimated 49,000 new asylum claims, accounting for 13 percent of all applications in industrialized countries,” Redmond said.
After the United States, the main countries of destination for asylum seekers in 2008 were Canada (36,900), France (35,200), Italy (31,200) and Britain (30,500).
- Pakistan was world's 8th largest asylum-seeker in 2010 - Apr 01, 2011
- Afghans are top asylum seekers in the West: UN - Mar 23, 2010
- Hundreds of Myanmar nationals seek refugee status (With Images) - Apr 21, 2012
- 30,000 Syrian refugees cross into Lebanon: UN - Jul 20, 2012
- Pakistanis among top asylum-seekers - Oct 19, 2008
- United Nations concerned about possible forced returns of Iraqis from Europe - Jun 09, 2010
- NHRC seeks solution on Mayanmarese asylum seekers - May 25, 2012
- 42 million people uprooted in 2008, says UN report - Jun 16, 2009
- Afghanistan tops worldwide asylum seekers list - Nov 28, 2010
- Iraqi deportees 'beaten' by British border police - Jun 18, 2010
- 27 mn people displaced within their own country: UN - Jun 16, 2010
- Britain tops EU asylum seekers' list - Jun 30, 2012
- Hundreds missing off Libya, many feared dead: Relief agencies (Lead) - Mar 31, 2009
- Angelina Jolie 'deeply troubled' by deaths in Somalia - Apr 19, 2010
- 230 Indians seek asylum in Cyprus: EU - May 09, 2009
Tags: asylum applicants, asylum applications, asylum claims, asylum seekers, country of origin, developed nations, high commissioner, industrialised countries, industrialized countries, march 25, nationalities, nationality, news briefing, provisional figures, ron redmond, russian federation, seeking asylum, turmoil, un high commissioner for refugees, xinhua