Assaults on Indian students in Australia not racialAugust 11th, 2011 - 9:04 pm ICT by IANS
Sydney, Aug 11 (IANS) Indian students in Australia were more likely to be victims of robbery but these crimes were opportunistic but not racially motivated, says a report.
The Australian Institute of Criminology analysed the assaults, robbery and theft committed against international students from 2005 to 2009 after media attention suggested that Indian students were being targeted.
The institute looked at 15,000 reports of crimes against students from India, China, South Korea, the US and Malaysia - the five largest groups of student visa holders, the Australian Associated Press (AAP) reported.
Director Adam Tomison said: “There was nothing in the overall findings that lends support to the view that Indian students have been singled out primarily for racial reasons.”
The report suggested the high rates of robbery against Indians could probably be because they were more likely to work in jobs, paticularly late at night.
A quarter of robberies against Indian students happened at retail locations and almost two in three happened at petrol stations.
- Australia Issues Report on Crimes Against Foreign Students - Aug 12, 2011
- Indian, Chinese student IDs revealed to Oz police to check if attacks racially motivated - May 20, 2010
- Indian students once again head for Australia - May 09, 2012
- Universities reel as Indian students ditch Australia - Jun 02, 2011
- Student visa policy not being changed: Australia - Jun 30, 2010
- Australian varsity seeks to attract more Indian students - Sep 24, 2011
- Oz Police says attacks on Indian students not racially motivated - May 29, 2009
- Australian universities woo students from India - Jul 31, 2012
- Men charged for racially abusing Indian in Australia - Jul 28, 2010
- Indians face more racial violence in Britain - Jun 30, 2010
- Fellow Indians held in Australia over gruesome slaying - Jan 29, 2010
- Australia to unveil new Multiculturalism Policy to tackle racial discrimination - Feb 16, 2011
- India urges Australia for action on attacks Down Under (Third Lead) - Mar 04, 2010
- Australian institute studying attacks on Indians: Minister - Mar 03, 2010
- Australia committed to bring perpetrators of attacks on Indian nationals to justice, says Smith - Mar 03, 2010
Tags: aap, australia, australian associated press, australian institute of criminology, crimes, india china, indian students, indians, institute of criminology, international students, late at night, media attention, petrol stations, retail locations, robberies, robbery, south korea, student visa, sydney, visa holders