Assange is arrogant, thin skinned and conspiratorial, say NYT reportersJanuary 27th, 2011 - 1:36 pm ICT by ANI
New York, Jan.27 (ANI): New York Times reporters are of the unanimous opinion that whistle blowing website WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange may look and appear smart, but is actually “arrogant, thin-skinned, conspiratorial and oddly credulous.”
The New York Times swallowed its distaste and mistrust and moved to work closely with Assange for sometime when the furor over the leak of US diplomatic cables was at its peak.
According to Times Executive Editor Bill Keller, his counterpart at the Guardian, a British daily, brought the NYT into the WikiLeaks story last summer.
The NYT quickly dispatched some of their best reporters and investigators to London to study the material and meet Assange.
“He was alert but disheveled, like a bag lady walking in off the street, wearing a dingy, light-colored sport coat and cargo pants, dirty white shirt, beat-up sneakers and filthy white socks that collapsed around his ankles. He smelled as if he hadn’t bathed in days,” a reporter wrote to Keller upon first meeting Assange.
First impressions were not improved upon. After working with Assange to go through the initial material about the Iraq and Afghanistan wars, Times reporters came to believe he was smart and tech-savvy, but “arrogant, thin-skinned, conspiratorial and oddly credulous.”
Ultimately, the mistrust between the two sides boiled over after the Times ran an unflattering portrait of Assange on its front page.
Keller said that, combined with the Times’ open disregard for some of Assange’s rules of cooperation, ultimately led to a souring of their relationship. (ANI)
- WikiLeaks boss Julian Assange described as 'filthy bag lady' in new book - Jan 31, 2011
- WikiLeaks spurned NYT, but Guardian leaked State Department cables to it - Nov 30, 2010
- Now, mini WikiLeaks on web, US cautions Switzerland over Assange asylum offer - Dec 06, 2010
- WikiLeaks to auction its co-founder's stuff on eBay - Sep 17, 2011
- Jeremy Renner is in talks with DreamWorks about taking up a role in WikiLeaks film - Jul 24, 2012
- WikiLeaks founder Assange fights calls to step down - Sep 09, 2010
- No proof that Assange encouraged leaks, says WikiLeaks - Feb 10, 2011
- Jewish smear campaign discrediting Wikileaks: Assange - Mar 03, 2011
- US seeks to build case for conspiracy by WikiLeaks - Dec 16, 2010
- WikiLeaks releases 2.4 mn e-mails on Syria - Jul 05, 2012
- 'Assange bringing WikiLeaks down' - Dec 23, 2010
- Media may face legal issues for publishing Wikileaks cables - Dec 11, 2010
- Movie about Julian Assange's life in the works - Jan 22, 2011
- WikiLeaks supporters plan protests in Europe, Latin America - Dec 11, 2010
- WikiLeaks founder to cooperate with police on molestation allegations - Aug 27, 2010
Tags: ankles, bag lady, bill keller, cargo pants, counterpart, disregard, distaste, executive editor, first impressions, first meeting, furor, initial material, julian assange, mistrust, new york times, nyt, sneakers, sport coat, unflattering portrait, white socks