Assam rises in protest against terrorNovember 4th, 2008 - 9:17 pm ICT by IANS
Guwahati, Nov 4 (IANS) The entire Assam has risen in protest against terrorism taking out processions, and holding candlelight rallies and street corner prayers condemning Thursday’s deadly wave of bombings that killed 80 people and left 300 more injured. Streets in Guwahati and other towns and cities in the state were full of protestors Tuesday night - some marching the thoroughfares holding banners and placards, while at almost every street corner one could witness men and women offering prayers and lighting candles and earthen lamps.
“This is a call from within the hearts of everyone in Assam to do whatever is possible to protest the terror strikes and pray for the eternal peace of those killed in the blasts,” said Mridumala Baruah, an elderly woman, performing community prayers at a street corner here.
In almost all shops and businesses, residences and offices, candles or earthen lamps were lit - not only in Guwahati, but across Assam.
“The way people of Assam are taking to the streets to protest the terror strikes is heartening,” Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi said.
Small children holding anti-terror placards marched through a city street with a steely resolve writ large on their faces - a reminder to the fact that even children are ready to fight terror in their own way.
“We want peace, not bloodshed,” read a placard carried by a schoolgirl here.
- Massive preparations in Assam for Bhupen Hazarika's final journey - Nov 06, 2011
- Pall of gloom in Assam after news of Hazarika's death - Nov 05, 2011
- Northeast defies I-Day boycott call - Aug 15, 2011
- Special Christmas prayers for peace in northeast - Dec 25, 2011
- Alert in Assam over ULFA strike threat - Jul 22, 2011
- ULFA faction opposes Sonia's Assam visit, calls for shutdown - May 22, 2012
- NDFB offers indefinite ceasefire - Jul 26, 2011
- ULFA to open unconditional talks from Feb 10 (Lead) - Feb 05, 2011
- Mamata leads candle light vigil for AMRI victims - Dec 13, 2011
- Hazare attracts young, old across Uttar Pradesh - Aug 19, 2011
- Bhupen Hazarika's golden voice falls silent - Nov 05, 2011
- Assam pays homage to October 2008 blast victims - Oct 31, 2009
- India celebrates Diwali with prayers, lights, crackers (Roundup) - Oct 26, 2011
- Northeast soaked in yuletide spirit - Dec 21, 2011
- New videos released by Baruah creates confusion over ULFA peace process - Jan 28, 2011