Assad regime accepts Kofi Annan’s peace planMarch 27th, 2012 - 8:00 pm ICT by IANS
Damascus, March 27 (IANS) The Syrian government has agreed to a peace plan put forward by UN-Arab envoy Kofi Annan, his spokesman said Tuesday.
The plan calls for an end to the ongoing fighting in the country under a UN-supervised ceasefire.
Annan, a former UN secretary general, described the acceptance of his peace plan by the Syrian government as “an important initial step that could bring an end to the violence and the bloodshed”, reported the BBC quoting his spokesman.
But implementation was the key, Annan’s spokesman said, adding there was hope that this would create the right environment for a political dialogue to fulfil the aspirations of the Syrian people.
The Syrian opposition, however, has dismissed Annan’s initiative, saying it will allow the government to continue its repression. The government has been criticised for not keeping earlier promises to reform.
Syria’s Bashar al-Assad-led government has been trying to suppress an uprising inspired by events in Tunisia, Egypt and Libya.
According to the UN, thousands of people have been killed in the crackdown, and that many more have been detained and displaced.
The Syrian government says hundreds of security forces personnel have also died combating “armed terrorist gangs”.
- Russia to keep supporting Syria peace plan - May 06, 2012
- US sees no Iranian role in ending Syrian violence - Jul 11, 2012
- India welcomes Syria ceasefire, wishes Annan success - Apr 13, 2012
- Direct talks in Syrian standoff unlikely: Russia - May 15, 2012
- Peace plan not implemented in Syria: Annan - Jun 08, 2012
- UN Syria envoy Kofi Annan to visit Russia - Mar 22, 2012
- UN monitors should be from neutral countries, like BRICS: Syria - Apr 22, 2012
- Assad departure no solution to Syrian problems: Russia - Mar 28, 2012
- Car bomb rocks Damascus suburb, hits peace deal - Apr 25, 2012
- Russia ready to back Annan proposals on Syria in UNSC - Mar 21, 2012
- US, Russia continue Syria discussions - Jun 15, 2012
- Annan admits failure of Syrian peace mission - Jul 08, 2012
- Syrian opposition to visit Moscow - Apr 05, 2012
- Al Qaeda behind Syrian blasts, says Russia - May 14, 2012
- Arab Spring in Syria? Picnickers tell a different story - Apr 21, 2012
Tags: aspirations, bashar al assad, bloodshed, ceasefire, crackdown, damascus, gangs, initial step, kofi annan, libya, peace plan, political dialogue, promises, repression, security forces, spokesman, syrian government, syrian opposition, un secretary general, uprising