Asma Jehangir urges Pakistan’s friends to persuade US to stop supporting MusharrafNovember 14th, 2007 - 8:29 am ICT by admin
“It is time now for the international community to insist on preventive measures otherwise it may take decades to clean the mess,” Jehangir said in a statement.
Expressing her deep concern over the several house arrests and detention of political leaders, she said, “The situation in Pakistan is uncertain. There is a strong crackdown on the media and lawyers. Most judges of the Supreme Court and the high courts have not taken oath under the new provisional constitutional order.”
“Former Pakistan Chief Justice Iftikhar Muhammad Chaudhry is under house arrest. Supreme Court Bar Association President Aitzaz Ahsan and two former SCBA presidents Muneer Malik and Tariq Mahmood have been imprisoned for one month under preventive detention laws,” Jehangir added.
Coming down heavily on Musharraf, she said, “The President said that he had to clamp down on the press and the judiciary to curb terrorism. Those he has arrested are progressive, secular minded people while the terrorists are offered negotiations and ceasefires.”
Jehangir warned that lawyers and civil society would “challenge” the Musharraf regime and the “scene is likely to get uglier”.
“We believe that Musharraf has to be taken out of the equation and a government of national reconciliation put in place. It must be backed by the military,” she said. (ANI)
- Pakistan's bar association elects its first woman chief - Oct 28, 2010
- Pak Govt not taking 'burning' Balochistan problem seriously: Asma Jehangir - Mar 10, 2011
- Zardari, Gilani, Musharraf felicitate Asma on winning SCBA presidential election - Oct 28, 2010
- Musharraf cronies, PPP backing Asma to beat Pak CJ loyalists in SCBA polls - Oct 27, 2010
- 'Pak govt. failed to present Taseer's murder in right perspective' - Apr 18, 2011
- Asma Jahangir says Pakistan's judiciary not independent as yet - Feb 11, 2011
- Haqqani's lawyer quits, criticizes memo commission - Jan 02, 2012
- Musharraf can't claim constitutional immunity in Benazir assassination case: Pak jurists - Feb 16, 2011
- 'Haqqani to survive punishment even if link with memo proved' - Jan 09, 2012
- Pak Interior Minister rules out military courts - May 03, 2011
- Contempt of court: Supreme Court adjourns till Feb 1 - Jan 19, 2012
- Contempt of court: Gilani set to appear before apex court - Jan 19, 2012
- Gilani's appeal in contempt case rejected by apex court - Feb 10, 2012
- `Increase in violence against women in Pakistan' - Feb 16, 2011
- Have always respected court: Gilani - Jan 19, 2012
Tags: ahsan, asma jehangir, association president, civil strife, high courts, house arrest, lawyers, musharraf regime, national reconciliation, preventive detention, preventive measures, progressive, scba, situation in pakistan, supreme court bar, tariq mahmood