Asian Games: Ashwini Chidananda, Joseph Abraham win 400m hurdles golds (Evening Lead)November 25th, 2010 - 7:04 pm ICT by IANS
Guangzhou, Nov 25 (IANS) India’s Ashwini Chidananda and Joseph Abraham won a gold apiece in the women’s and men’s 400 metres hurdles, while three bronzes boosted the country’s Asian Games tally to 51 on the 13th day of competitions here Thursday.
Five Indian boxers, as also the men’s and women’s kabaddi teams, are also in the gold hunt.
India’s tally comprises nine gold, 13 silver and 29 bronze.
India’s bronze winners Thursday were the men’s hockey team, athlete Tintu Luka (women’s 800 metres) and wrestler Mausam Khatri (men’s freestyle 96 kg).
With a personal best timing of 56.15 seconds, Ashwini clinched the third gold medal for India from the track and field event of the Asian Games at the Aoti Main Stadium.
The silver went to China’s Wang Xing with a timing of 56.76 secs and Japan’s Satomi Kubokokura got the bronze with a timing of 56.83 secs.
India’s Jauna Murmu was fourth with 56.88 secs.
Abraham clocked his season’s best timing of 49.96 seconds to win India’s fourth gold medal in the track and field event.
Bandar Yahya Sharahili (50.29 secs) of Saudi Arabia took the silver and Japan’s Naohiro Kawakita the bronze (50.37 secs).
After losing to Malaysia in a match that was virtually in their pocket, India redeemed themselves somewhat by claiming the men’s hockey bronze, defeating South Korea 1-0.
Tushar Khandekar scored a field gold in the 39th minute at the Aoti Hockey Field to give India its second Asian Games hockey bronze after 1986.
India were leading 3-2 in the semifinals Tuesday before Malaysia got the equaliser three minutes from time and went on to win via a golden goal.
Tintu Luka, who had a disappointing finish in the New Delhi Commonwealth Games, led the 800 metres pack right from the start, but couldn’t keep pace in the last 50 metres and finished third in 2:01.36 seconds.
The gold went to Kazhakstan’s Margarita Matsko with a personal best 2:00.29, while China’s Truong Thanh Hang grabbed the silver in 2:00.91.
Tintu’s compatriot Sinimole Paulose finished seventh in 2:06.95.
Mausam got the better of Jaegang Kim of South Korea 3-1 in the bronze medal play-off to get India its third bronze in the sport but Rajiv Tomar and Nirmala Devi crashed out in their categories.
Mausam defeated Syrian Alkarrad Raja 3-1 in the repechage round.
He had lost 1-3 to Taimuraz Tigiyev of Kazakhstan in the pre-quarterfinals and was moved to the repechage round.
The Indian men registered an easy 52-17 win over Japan while the women won a close battle 23-22 against Iran in extra time to enter the finals of the kabaddi competition.
The Indian women beat Maldives 3-0 to finish ninth in the volleyball competition.
The Indians did not face much resistance from the Maldives and won 25-4, 25-5, 25-7 in 46 minutes at the Guangwai Gymnasium.
- Hurdlers Ashwini, Abraham; boxer Vikas Krishan win Asiad golds (Roundup) - Nov 25, 2010
- Asian Games athletics: Ashwini, Abraham make it a golden double (Lead) - Nov 25, 2010
- Asian Games athletics: Gowda disappoints, Luka in 800m final (Lead) - Nov 24, 2010
- India claim Asiad hockey bronze (Afternoon Lead) - Nov 25, 2010
- Asian Games athletics: India's Ashwini wins 400m hurdles gold - Nov 25, 2010
- Olympics: Wrestler Geeta, high jumper Sahana out (India Intro Roundup) - Aug 10, 2012
- Asian Games athletics: Tintu Luka wins bronze in women's 800 metres - Nov 25, 2010
- Olympics: Geeta to wrestle in repechage; Devendro, Sahana out (India Roundup) - Aug 10, 2012
- Asian Games athletics: Relay team gives gold, Preeja silver (Roundup) - Nov 26, 2010
- Asian Games swimming: Khade creates history in pool after 24 years (Lead) - Nov 16, 2010
- Olympics: Tintu Luka finishes sixth in 800m semis (Overall India Roundup) - Aug 10, 2012
- Mayookha, Om Prakash win bronze in Asian Athletics (Lead) - Jul 09, 2011
- The best Olympics for India (Review) - Aug 12, 2012
- Tintu, Mayookha shine at Asian All-Star Athletics Meet - Jul 29, 2010
- Asian Games: Four golds take India's tally to 14 (Roundup) - Nov 26, 2010
Tags: 400m hurdles, asian games, bronze winners, bronzes, commonwealth games, gold hunt, gold medal, golden goal, hockey field, hockey team, indian boxers, jauna, joseph abraham, kabaddi, mausam, s 400, satomi, truong thanh, tushar, yahya