Asian Development Bank offers to double aid to PakistanFebruary 26th, 2009 - 11:14 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, Feb 26 (DPA) The Asian Development Bank (ADB) Thursday offered cash-strapped Pakistan to double its annual assistance to $3 billion during the incoming fiscal year staring July 1, a senior official of the bank said.
“We can double Pakistan’s assistance up to three billion per annum provided Islamabad makes a request and the funds available to ADB are increased,” the bank’s vice president Zhao Xiaoyu told reporters in Islamabad.
The statement came after his talks with Pakistan’s deputy minister for economic affairs Hina Rabbani Khar. The visiting official also met the Pakistan’s Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani.
Under the offered deal, the ADB’s assistance for the next three years would be jacked up to $9 billion from $4.5 billion for fiscal years 2009-2010 to 2012-13.
Xiaoyu also said that the ADB was ready to extend its financing facility for construction of mega water projects in the country.
Pakistan is looking for assistance for its $12-billion Basha dam project to overcome the power-crisis the country is currently facing.
According to the plan, the work on the hydro-electric power project will be started within the ongoing calendar year 2009 and when completed it will produce some 4500 megawatt power.
- Pakistan owes $53 bn foreign debt - Dec 24, 2010
- ADB signs JV to develop renewable energy in India - Nov 24, 2010
- Japan invites Pakistan for conference on Afghanistan - Jan 17, 2012
- Pakistan no to seeking NOC on dam from India - Aug 14, 2012
- Memogate raised critical questions about Pakistan: Foreign Minister - Nov 26, 2011
- Pakistan for better ties with Afghanistan - Jan 04, 2012
- 43 Pakistanis held by pirates released: Minister - Jan 18, 2012
- Pakistan seeks closer ties with Bangladesh - Jan 13, 2012
- Pakistan values its ties with Maldives: Khar - Oct 12, 2011
- No secret deal with US on NATO route reopening: Khar - Jul 05, 2012
- Pakistan wants improved relations with Iraq - Nov 18, 2011
- Pakistan turns down World Bank, ADB loan - Oct 21, 2010
- Indian envoy discusses ties with Khar - Jan 25, 2012
- ADB to give $889 million for Himachal, Assam power projects - Jan 19, 2011
- Gilani to talk Afghan peace in Qatar (Lead) - Feb 06, 2012
Tags: adb, asian development bank, calendar year, country pakistan, dam project, deputy minister, economic affairs, fiscal year, fiscal years, gilani, hydro electric power, july 1, pakistan islamabad, power crisis, prime minister, rabbani, vice president, water projects, xiaoyu