Asia Foundation names new Country Director for IndiaAugust 14th, 2009 - 12:23 pm ICT by IANS
Washington, Aug 14 (IANS) The Asia Foundation has named Nick Langton as its resident Country Director in India to lead the Foundation’s expanded programmeme activities in the country.
Langton will operate from a fully operational office to be opened in New Delhi in autumn, the San Francisco based non-profit, non-governmental organization announced Thursday.
Langton was most recently the Foundation’s representative in Nepal from 1999 to 2009, where he oversaw programmes supporting governance and law, conflict transformation and peace-building, economic reform, and women’s security.
With over 25 years of experience in Asia, Langton is a South Asia specialist with expertise in the areas of legal rights, community mediation and peace building, and anti-trafficking of women and children.
He joined the Foundation in 1986 as Assistant Representative in Bangladesh and Nepal and later served as the Foundation’s Country Representative in Sri Lanka and Maldives (1989-92), in Bangladesh (1992-97), and in the Philippines and Pacific Islands (1997-99).
Prior to joining the Foundation, Langton served with CARE in the US, worked with Ugandan refugees in southern Sudan and was a Peace Corps volunteer, trainer, and consultant in Nepal.
- Youth workshop on gender, democracy and peace-building - Dec 10, 2011
- UN gives $8 mn for Nepal's peace process - Jun 30, 2012
- India to focus on UN peacekeeping during presidency - Aug 03, 2011
- Security council backs South Sudan for UN membership - Jul 14, 2011
- Three women share Nobel Peace Prize - Oct 07, 2011
- South Asian initiative seeks to break fresh ground - Dec 06, 2011
- South Asian activists part with message of peace - Oct 31, 2010
- Peacebuilding must respect sovereignty: China - Nov 01, 2011
- India, Bhutan to refresh friendship over fine print - Apr 25, 2012
- Obama names two more Indian-Americans to key posts - Mar 30, 2011
- Indian American gets key Pentagon job (Lead) - May 02, 2012
- Activists give voice to women in strife-torn regions - Sep 30, 2011
- PM greets South Sudan, world's newest nation - Jul 09, 2011
- Intra-Kashmir women meet from Sep 27 - Sep 24, 2011
- India for holistic approach to post-conflict peace-building - Apr 17, 2010
Tags: asia foundation, autumn, bangladesh, community mediation, conflict transformation, country director, country representative, economic reform, maldives, nepal, New Delhi, non governmental organization, operational office, pacific islands, peace corps volunteer, refugees, South Asia, southern sudan, trafficking of women, trafficking of women and children