Asean urged to hold emergency summit on food securityApril 12th, 2008 - 6:21 pm ICT by admin
Manila, April 12 (DPA) Leaders of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (Asean) must hold an emergency summit to address the looming food shortages in the region, a senior Philippine legislator said Saturday. Senator Mar Roxas said the 10-member grouping must come up with concerted efforts to address the issue of shortages in staple food and runaway prices of basic commodities.
Asean includes Brunei, Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar, the Philippines, Singapore, Thailand and Vietnam.
“Asean has in its membership the world’s two biggest rice exporters and the world’s biggest rice importer,” Roxas said in a statement.
“The proposed summit has the opportunity to ease the fear and the crisis that is gripping both the producing farmers and consumer families across the Asean and the region,” he added.
Roxas said the summit can include Asean’s partners like China, South Korea and Japan and multinational financial institutions that have interests on “both the consumer and the producer sides of the current crisis”.
- ASEAN-India officials meet in Cambodia - May 27, 2012
- Close ASEAN cooperation urged to promote growth (Lead) - Apr 03, 2012
- Russia to be regular at ASEAN summits - Oct 30, 2010
- Anand Sharma to inaugurate India-Asean Business Fair tomorrow - Mar 01, 2011
- US wants close ties with ASEAN - Jul 11, 2012
- ASEAN prepares for third meeting with Economic Community Council - Apr 07, 2010
- Thailand seeks Indian investments - Jan 25, 2012
- India, ASEAN commerce ministers meet in Delhi - Mar 03, 2011
- Indian president to visit Laos - Sep 06, 2010
- India, Asean want to 'connect' in the physical, virtual world - Feb 13, 2012
- Economic downturn lends urgency to India-ASEAN partnership: Manmohan Singh - Nov 19, 2011
- 16th ASEAN summit ends - Apr 09, 2010
- US urges a code of conduct in the South China Sea - Jul 23, 2010
- Ties with Laos, Cambodia of strategic importance to India: President Patil - Sep 09, 2010
- Indian envoy meets Indonesian parliamentary speaker - Jun 12, 2012
Tags: asean, association of southeast asian nations, commodities, concerted efforts, dpa, emergency summit, farmers, financial institutions, food security, food shortages, laos, legislator, myanmar, rice exporters, rice importer, runaway prices, senator mar roxas, south korea, southeast asian nations, staple food