ASEAN members ‘tiny blips’ compared to India, China: Singapore PMAugust 20th, 2008 - 2:32 pm ICT by IANS
Singapore, Aug 20 (DPA) Members of the Association of South-East Asian Nations (ASEAN) are only “tiny blips” on investors’ radar screens compared to China and India, Singapore Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong said Wednesday.Opening the 29th ASEAN Inter-Parliamentary Assembly (AIPA) session, Lee said the 10-member group has to struggle to get its share of investments, jobs and growth.
By hosting the Beijing Olympics, China had shown the world the talents, energy and organizational prowess of its people, Lee said. “India’s economy too has considerable dynamism, and is moving up in terms of skills and technology,” he added.
ASEAN will become a single market and production base by 2015 as long as the organization adheres to its timetable, Lee said. “To stay in the game, ASEAN must become a strong and integrated region.”
“Then collectively, we will form a bigger blip on the radar screens, and become a more attractive and worthwhile economic partner, whether for multinational corporations or other countries,” Lee said.
He also stressed the importance of all member states ratifying the ASEAN Charter which will turn the group into a rule-based legal entity. It has been ratified by seven members so far.
Future stability cannot be taken for granted, Lee said, citing the problems stemming from the sub-prime mortgage crisis and the failure of the latest round of the Doha trade negotiations in Geneva.
He urged the parliamentarians “to stand firm against xenophobic attitudes, and to support policies which keep our economies open and integrated”.
ASEAN comprises Singapore, Thailand, Malaysia, Indonesia, the Philippines, Brunei, Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia and Myanmar.
- Indian envoy meets Indonesian parliamentary speaker - Jun 12, 2012
- India gets observer status at ASEAN inter-parliamentary assembly - Sep 24, 2010
- India gets observer status at ASEAN Inter-Parliamentary Assembly - Sep 24, 2010
- PM in Bali, wants stronger ties with ASEAN, Singapore - Nov 17, 2011
- India steps up ASEAN diplomacy, Singapore PM on way - Jul 09, 2012
- Sri Lanka, Singapore sign trade agreement - Feb 16, 2012
- Volatility expected in global economy: Singapore PM - Nov 29, 2011
- Nehru spirit prevails as Manmohan lands in Singapore (Second Lead) - Nov 19, 2011
- Singapore opened new horizons for India: PM - Nov 20, 2011
- PM meets Clinton, three prime ministers - Oct 30, 2010
- Manmohan heads East to Bali and Singapore - Nov 16, 2011
- India, Asean to ink economic pact by year-end: Anand Sharma - Mar 02, 2011
- The sky is the limit for ASEAN-India cooperation (Comment) - Oct 27, 2010
- Singapore prime minister, new cabinet sworn in - May 21, 2011
- US ready to engage in Trans-Pacific Partnership - Nov 14, 2009
Tags: asean members, association of south east asian nations, east asian nations, india singapore, lee hsien loong, prime minister lee, singapore prime minister, south east asian, sub prime mortgage, xenophobic attitudes