Asean finance ministers review economy, chart directionsApril 4th, 2008 - 1:19 pm ICT by admin
Da Nang City (Vietnam), April 4 (Xinhua) Finance ministers from the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (Asean) are reviewing here Friday global and regional situations and putting forth directions for closer financial cooperation. The 12th Asean Finance Ministers’ Meeting (AFMM) being organised in Vietnam’s central Da Nang city will discuss global and regional (Asean Community) situations, the Asean Charter and the region’s financial and monetary integration roadmap.
Cooperation between the 10-member Asean countries and China, Japan and South Korea will also be discussed. The Asean countries are Brunei, Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand and Vietnam.
“I hope the finance ministers will share experiences and solutions to prevent economic recession, inflation and social insecurity and strengthen financial systems of the region as well as of each country,” Vietnam’s Deputy Prime Minister Nguyen Sinh Hung said in his welcome speech at the meeting.
The weakening global economy, including the US, rising oil and food prices have affected the Asean countries. Now the biggest challenge of the bloc is to bridge the gaps by 2015 to deal with such situations, he said.
The ministers are expected to approve and sign a protocol to implement the 4th Package of Commitments on Financial Services under the Asean Framework Agreement on Services.
The three main objectives are to enhance cooperation in services among the member states, eliminate restrictions on trade and liberalising trade by expanding its scope beyond the General Agreement on Trade in Services (GATS).
The 13th AFMM is expected to be held in Brunei in April 2009.
- ASEAN economic ministers agree to deepen integration efforts - Sep 01, 2012
- India-ASEAN services, investment pact negotiations reviewed - Aug 27, 2010
- Close ASEAN cooperation urged to promote growth (Lead) - Apr 03, 2012
- ASEAN-India officials meet in Cambodia - May 27, 2012
- ASEAN prepares for third meeting with Economic Community Council - Apr 07, 2010
- India to negotiate free trade agreements with Indonesia, Thailand soon - Oct 28, 2010
- Economic downturn lends urgency to India-ASEAN partnership: Manmohan Singh - Nov 19, 2011
- India, Asean to ink economic pact by year-end: Anand Sharma - Mar 02, 2011
- India, Asean want to 'connect' in the physical, virtual world - Feb 13, 2012
- US, Vietnam to hold joint navy activities - Jul 08, 2011
- The sky is the limit for ASEAN-India cooperation (Comment) - Oct 27, 2010
- India to speed up trade talks with EU, Japan and Malaysia - Aug 25, 2010
- Indian commerce minister meets Vietnamese PM - Mar 08, 2012
- PM in Bali, wants stronger ties with ASEAN, Singapore - Nov 17, 2011
- Free trade with Asean to open up bigger prospects - May 15, 2011
Tags: 12th asean, asean countries, asean finance ministers, association of southeast asian nations, chart directions, china japan, community situations, da nang city, deputy prime minister, economic recession, financial cooperation, food prices, framework agreement, global economy, ministers meeting, monetary integration, social insecurity, southeast asian nations, welcome speech, xinhua finance