Artist’s ambitious undertaking: Sketching all 8.3mllion New Yorkers!April 20th, 2010 - 6:21 pm ICT by ANI
New York, April 20 (ANI): American artist Jason Polan has revealed that he hopes to be able to draw 8.3 million New Yorkers.
Polan, 27, stands in the intersection of Houston and Broadway and sketches strangers, and he has spent the past two years trying to sketch as many people as he can for a project titled, “Every Person in New York”.
He’s managed to complete about 10,000 drawings so far, and at the rate he is going, it could take 1,660 more years to complete.
“I’d love to finish, but I don’t think it’s possible,” the New York Daily News quoted him as saying.
“I just want it to be something that’s fun and I want it to be something that lasts a long time,” he said.
The Michigan native scours the streets nearly every day with his black pen and notepad and tries to capture the hustle and bustle of the Big Apple.
“I don’t interact with people when I’m drawing them. I found that when they know that I’m drawing them, it changes things a little bit,” he explained.
Polan has sketched everyone from a woman named Harriet walking through Union Square to comedian Jerry Seinfeld eating a burger in midtown.
“Some people that I draw may never know that I’ve drawn them,” he revealed. (ANI)
- Jerry Seinfeld Calls Lady Gaga A "Jerk" - Jun 28, 2010
- Lagerfeld only wants designers who draw - Feb 24, 2011
- Jerry Sienfeld Blasts Lady Gaga For Mets Game Antics - Jun 23, 2010
- Culkin to exhibit paintings - Sep 11, 2012
- Brooklyn teen makes 'world's largest' bobblehead - Sep 07, 2010
- Songwriter Jerry Ragovoy dies - Jul 18, 2011
- Deborra-Lee Furness is first star to be celebrated on 'This is Your Life' - Feb 22, 2011
- I'll pull a Faisal on you, New Yorker tells boss - May 09, 2010
- Lady Gaga Called "A Jerk" By Jerry Seinfeld After Met's Game Antics - Jun 28, 2010
- Veteran Actor Bill Erwin, Bids Last Adieu - Jan 04, 2011
- Jerry Seinfeld calls Lady Gaga a 'jerk' - Jun 23, 2010
- Jenna Jameson in talks for Broadway role - Oct 22, 2010
- Ricky Martin happy with family, return to Broadway - Feb 14, 2012
- Ricky Martin returns to Broadway - Mar 14, 2012
- Jerry Seinfeld calls Lady Gaga 'a jerk' - Jun 29, 2010
Tags: ambitious undertaking, american artist, black pen, broadway, bustle, comedian jerry seinfeld, drawings, intersection, jerry seinfeld, little bit, long time, midtown, new york daily news, new yorkers, notepad, polan, scours, sketches, union square, york daily news