Arsenal kids put on another sterling display in Carling CupNovember 12th, 2008 - 2:44 pm ICT by IANS
London, Nov 12 (DPA) Arsenal’s youth players produced another sensational performance, beating Wigan 3-0 to reach the quarter-finals of the Carling Cup.Manager Arsene Wenger took an opportunity Tuesday to give the younger players in his squad a chance, his side having an average age of just 19.
Jay Simpson seized on a reverse ball from Jack Wilshere to open the scoring three minutes before half-time. He added a second from Carlos Vela’s unselfish square pass midway through the second half, before Vela chipped a sensational third.
Only the brilliance of Wigan goalkeeper Chris Kirkland prevented a far wider margin.
Arsenal had beaten Sheffield United 6-0 with similar youthful exuberance in the last round.
A second-string Manchester United side struggled to get the better of Championship side QPR but eventually went through 1-0 thanks to Carlos Tevez’s 76th-minute penalty.
Glenn Whelan and Danny Pugh got the goals as Stoke beat Rotherham 2-0.
In the games not involving a Premier League side, Watford won 1-0 at Swansea, and Derby pipped Leeds 2-1.
- Chelsea, Arsenal win, Tottenham lose to Wigan - Aug 28, 2010
- Leeds rewarded with trip to Spurs - Jan 04, 2010
- Manchester City wins league title in thrilling fashion - May 14, 2012
- Last-minute thrillers render Chelsea win, Arsenal loss - Jan 03, 2012
- Title race wide open as leaders Chelsea humbled by Man City - Feb 28, 2010
- Swansea outplay Arsenal to record memorable win - Jan 16, 2012
- Wigan strikes late to draw with Chelsea - Dec 18, 2011
- Rule on fielding full-strength teams in EPL to be relaxed - Jul 15, 2011
- Chelsea thrash Blackburn to go back to top - Oct 25, 2009
- Arsenal can overtake Man U in Premier League title race: Wilshere - Jan 07, 2011
- Henry gets into altercation with Arsenal fan - Jan 16, 2012
- Arsenal's Wilshere would only be in Barcelona's reserves: Guardiola - Mar 08, 2011
- Manchester City top Premier League as Bolton takes emotional win - Mar 25, 2012
- Chelsea thrash Wigan to lift Premier League title - May 10, 2010
- Wenger says gamble on Arshavin paid off in amazing style in historic defeat of Barca - Feb 17, 2011