Around 60,000 new HIV/AIDS cases in ChinaNovember 1st, 2011 - 11:56 am ICT by IANS
Beijing, Nov 1 (IANS) China has recorded about 429,000 registered AIDS patients and HIV carriers by the end of September, Xinhua reported.
According to the official figures released Monday, these statistics are up by nearly 60,000 over the past 11 months.
China’s Minister for Health Chen Zhu, during a conference jointly held by the Ministry and the UNAIDS’s Theme Group in China, revealed that since the 1980s, the country had seen over 164,000 registered AIDS patients and 86,000 recorded deaths attributable to the disease.
Although growth in the registered HIV/AIDS population declined in recent years, previous research also indicated a large group to have not been covered in the official count.
A joint research project conducted in 2009 by the ministry, the UNAIDS and the World Health Organisation estimated the total to be 740,000 as of the end of that year.
With more HIV carriers turning into AIDS patients and more deaths reported, the spread of the disease will project a growing influence on the social and economical development of affected regions, Chen said.
- More Chinese wives get HIV from husbands - Jun 02, 2012
- AIDS ranked as top killer disease in China for third year in a row - Feb 17, 2011
- HIV spreading among China's elderly: 80-year-old infected - Aug 06, 2011
- 28,000 die of HIV/AIDS in China - Jan 22, 2012
- China to have 1.2 mn HIV-affected people by 2015 - Dec 04, 2010
- Aid appeal to combat HIV/AIDS in Myanmar - Dec 06, 2011
- HIV poses increasing risk to Chinese women - Sep 08, 2010
- Third Red Ribbon Express to spread AIDS awareness planned (Lead) - Dec 01, 2010
- China may end travel ban on HIV-positive foreigners - Apr 22, 2010
- China to have 1.2m HIV-positive people by the end of 2015 - Dec 04, 2010
- New AIDS cases in India drop by 50 percent - Apr 01, 2011
- AIDS welfare cost may effect growth: Report - Apr 01, 2011
- Treat HIV/AIDS as social, developmental issue, say experts (Dec 1 is World AIDS Day) - Nov 30, 2009
- China lifts 20-year-old entry ban on HIV/AIDS foreigners - Apr 28, 2010
- This AIDS day, talk of universal access and human rights (Dec 1 is World AIDS Day) - Dec 01, 2010
Tags: 1980s, aids, aids cases, aids patients, chen zhu, china beijing, deaths, economical development, hiv, hiv aids, hiv carriers, large group, nov 1, population, previous research, statistics, theme group, unaids, world health organisation, xinhua