Around 60 militants killed in Swat: Pak Army

November 14th, 2007 - 3:02 am ICT by admin  
An army spokesman was quoted as saying in the media reports that between 50 and 60 militants died in the battle, which started after a suspected suicide attack in the area that killed 21 people last week.

However, no casualties to military or police personnel were reported, he said even as locals claimed seeing bodies of at least nine paramilitary soldiers.

Meanwhile, militants have agreed to a cease-fire, a day after the Pakistan Army gunned down 10 pro-Taliban militants in the Swat region.

“This is a good thing that the militants have agreed to the cease-fire, and we welcome it,” The News quoted District Coordination Officer (DCO) Arshad Majeed, as saying.

According to a US news agency, residents said they had not heard any gunshots early Monday in Swat.

According to sources, Maulana Shah Nooran, deputy of Maulana Fazlullah announced at FM radio that if the government announced ceasefire than he would order his aides to stop firing.

On Sunday, Prime Minister Shaukat Aziz said no army operation was being conducted in Swat, while the police and security forces were striving for the maintenance of law and order.

“We do not want loss of life in Swat, the local administration had requested the federal government for the deployment of army to maintain law and order,” he said.

Caretaker Chief Minister of North West Frontier Province (NWFP) Shamsul Mulk, has said that the possibility of Indian hands in the prevailing unrest in Swat cannot be ruled out. (ANI)

Related Stories

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Posted in World |

Subscribe