Arnie in favour of legalising cannabis sale in California to raise revenueMay 6th, 2009 - 5:50 pm ICT by ANI
London, May 6 (ANI): California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger has said it is time to talk about legalising the sale of cannabis to generate much-needed tax revenue for the state to help bridge its burgeoning 60 billion dollar debt, despite President Barack Obama dismissal about the possibility of legalizing marijuana.
Governor Schwarzenegger, who has admitted smoking marijuana in his youth, insisted that any decision would not be based on extra income for California, in spite of it having the dubious honour of the largest budget deficit of any state in the US.
He announced that he welcomes a public debate on the proposal, telling reporters it was time for an open forum on the issue.
“I think we ought to study very carefully what other countries are doing that have legalised marijuana and other drugs, what affect it had on those countries, and are they happy with that decision,” he added.
California was the first state to allow its residents to use marijuana for medical purposes, with licensed dispensaries a common sight since 1996 when the “Compassionate Use” bill was passed, The Telegraph reported.
Twelve other states have since followed suit and decriminalised cannabis use for individuals who meet certain criteria.
Recreational use is still prohibited, although a recent poll of California voters found 56 per cent to be in favour of legalising the drug for non-medicinal use.
Assemblyman Tom Ammiano is proposing a change in state law, allowing all adults over the age of 21 to purchase marijuana, which would become a taxable item. If implemented, Ammiamo claims that 1.3 billion dollars in revenue would be generated for the state. (ANI)
- No one cares if you smoke a joint: Schwarzenegger - Nov 09, 2010
- California Voters Renounce Proposition 19 To Legalize Pot - Nov 04, 2010
- Medicinal marijuana shop in California offers dope-flavoured ice cream - Sep 16, 2010
- 4/20 National Weed Day: Will It Soon Be Legal? - Apr 20, 2010
- Obama says marijuana can't give sinking US economy a high - Mar 27, 2009
- Marijuana Decriminalization Bill Signed by Gov Schwarzenegger - Oct 02, 2010
- District Attorney Steve Cooley opposes marijuana initiative in California - Apr 20, 2010
- Uruguay to debate legalising marijuana - Aug 09, 2012
- Prescription marijuana without memory loss on horizon - Mar 03, 2012
- Marijuana use in California may double if legal: Study - Jul 08, 2010
- Got the munchies? Try Oakland prof's savoury cannabis recipes! - Dec 08, 2010
- Pot cola, sodas coming to medical marijuana dispensaries - Jan 30, 2011
- Sarah Palin hits back at Arnie's 'can't see Russia' Twitter jibe - Sep 11, 2010
- Oakland set to become 'Silicon Valley of Pot' - Jul 21, 2010
- California Citizens Reject Proposition 19 - Nov 03, 2010
Tags: arnie, arnold schwarzenegger, assemblyman, barack obama, budget deficit, california governor arnold, california governor arnold schwarzenegger, california voters, compassionate use, dollar debt, dubious honour, extra income, governor arnold schwarzenegger, governor schwarzenegger, legalizing marijuana, marijuana for medical purposes, public debate, recent poll, smoking marijuana, tom ammiano