Army captures last LTTE sea baseFebruary 5th, 2009 - 7:42 pm ICT by IANS
Colombo, Feb 5 (Xinhua) The Sri Lankan military Thursday said that it has captured the last sea base of the Tamil Tiger rebels. Officials said the Tamil Tiger base in Chalai was captured by the troops of the 55 Division Thursday afternoon.
Several senior leaders of the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE) have been killed in the fighting in the area since Wednesday, an official said.
Earlier on Wednesday, Sri Lanka’s President Mahinda Rajapakse said the LTTE will be decisively defeated within the next few days.
The LTTE has been fighting the government troops to set up an independent Tamil homeland for more than two decades.
- LTTE operating camps in Tamil Nadu: Lankan PM - Mar 10, 2011
- Sri Lanka, Singapore sign trade agreement - Feb 16, 2012
- Sri Lanka must account for missing rebels: Human Rights Watch - Apr 09, 2011
- Former Tamil Tigers picked for SAF Games - Jul 12, 2012
- Will get Sri Lankan Tamils their rights: Jayalalithaa - Aug 11, 2011
- Sri Lanka to probe US charges of troops 'atrocities' - Oct 27, 2009
- Sri Lanka war report presented to parliament - Dec 16, 2011
- 12 Sea Tigers men, deputy chief killed, claims Sri Lanka - Feb 05, 2009
- LTTE's last Sea Tiger base captured: Sri Lanka (Lead) - Feb 05, 2009
- Sri Lankan cabinet meets first time in north - Jul 14, 2010
- 'Sri Lanka's ties with China no threat to India' - Dec 29, 2011
- Former Sri Lankan army chief to be tried for mutiny - Jun 07, 2012
- 'Appeasing Tamil flood victims best chance for Sri Lanka to improve maligned image' - Jan 15, 2011
- Senior Tamil Tiger rebel killed in fighting - May 04, 2009
- India wanted LTTE 'put in its place': Norway report - Nov 11, 2011
Tags: army, decades, few days, government troops, liberation tigers of tamil eelam, liberation tigers of tamil eelam ltte, mahinda rajapakse, sea base, sri lanka, sri lankan military, tamil homeland, tamil tiger rebels, thursday afternoon, tiger, xinhua