Arizona court convicts Iraqi man for “honour killing” of westernised daughterFebruary 23rd, 2011 - 3:11 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, Feb 23 (ANI): An Arizona court has found an Iraqi immigrant guilty of a second-degree murder in an “honour killing” case, wherein the convict ran over his 20-year-old daughter because she had become too westernised.
Faleh Almaleki had crushed his daughter with his jeep on October 20, 2009 for bringing dishonour to his family, and also hit and seriously injured the mother of his daughter’s boyfriend, CBS News reports.
Defence lawyers called Noor Almaleki’s death and Amal Khalaf’s injury an accident, adding that Faleh was only trying to spit on the older woman. Although the lawyers said that Almaleki should be held accountable for making a split-second decision, they urged for a lesser charge against the Iraqi man saying he did not intend to kill anyone.
Prosecutor Laura Reckart, however, played a recording in the court done by Christopher Boughey and another detective, which clearly showed that Almaleki had intended to kill his daughter for bringing disgrace to his family.
The court also convicted Almaleki of aggravated assault for the injuries suffered by the older woman.
The incident happened outside a state Department of Economic Security office in the west Phoenix suburb of Peoria. (ANI)
- Phoenix Police arrest Iraqi man for running over `too westernized daughter' - Oct 31, 2009
- Trial of Muslim man accused of daughter's 'honor killing,' begins in US - Jan 25, 2011
- Andrew Thomas Gallo Sentenced To 51 Years - Dec 24, 2010
- British Couple Sentenced By Dubai Court For Kissing In Public - Apr 05, 2010
- Briton gets life sentence in Iraq for killing two - Feb 28, 2011
- Relatives Iraqi war victims to raise judicial case against former President Bush - Jun 17, 2011
- Phil Spector' lawyers appeal to overturn murder conviction - Apr 13, 2011
- Honour killings deserve capital punishment: Supreme Court - May 09, 2011
- Osama was hale and hearty, says wife - May 07, 2011
- Woman, daughter-in-law beat man to death in court premises - Jan 31, 2012
- Osama widow's brother wants Pakistan to release her - May 16, 2011
- 120-year-old Indian man marries a 60 year old woman - Oct 27, 2011
- We tortured Iraqi prisoners to avenge our troops' killing, says convicted British soldier - Nov 17, 2009
- Pakistani parents found guilty of killing teenaged daughter - Aug 03, 2012
- Osama had just moved to bedroom when raid took place: Wife - May 07, 2011
Tags: amal, arizona court, cbs news, convict, defence lawyers, department of economic security, detective, disgrace, honour, iraqi man, jeep, khalaf, news reports, older woman, phoenix suburb, prosecutor, second degree murder, security office, state department, west phoenix