Argentina unhappy over Prince William’s Falklands postingFebruary 8th, 2009 - 4:25 pm ICT by IANS
London, Feb 8 (IANS) Argentina has expressed unease after learning that Prince William, the second in line to the British throne, is to be deployed to the Falkland Islands as part of his military duties.
Britain and Argentina fought a bruising war in 1982 over the Falkland Islands, which are claimed by both countries.
The three-month war, in which 649 Argentines and 255 Britons were killed, ended in a British victory but Argentina continues to maintain its claim to the archipelago it calls the Malvinas.
Jorge Taina, an aide to Argentina’s foreign minister, said the move would reopen debate about the future of the islands.
“This circumstance only serves to once again highlight Britain’s ongoing military presence in land and sea areas that are part of the Argentine Republic’s national territories,” he said.
According to Royal Air Force News, Prince William is to be sent to the Falklands to serve as a search and rescue (SAR) pilot for three months, after he completes his 18-month RAF course in 2009.
- Prince William''s deployment to Falkland Islands upsets Argentina - Feb 03, 2009
- UN chief seeks to ease Falkland tensions - Feb 11, 2012
- Dead British soldier gets island named after him - Mar 03, 2012
- Argentina protests British war games in Falkland Islands (Lead) - Oct 12, 2010
- Argentina protests British war games in Falklands - Oct 12, 2010
- Argentina blocks supplies for oil exploration in Falklands - Feb 12, 2010
- Britain to deploy warship in South Atlantic - Feb 01, 2012
- Prince William 'battling to serve in Falkland Islands' - Sep 26, 2010
- How Israelis 'armed junta' in Falklands conflict revealed - Apr 21, 2011
- 'Falklands posting' to keep William and Kate apart - May 02, 2011
- Argentina criticises Britain's 'arrogance' in Assange case - Aug 29, 2012
- Spanish firm to look for oil near Falklands - Feb 26, 2010
- Prince Henry plays volleyball in Brazil - Mar 11, 2012
- Sarkozy stops of short of committing French help to UK over Falklands - Nov 03, 2010
- Argentina drop hockey player who featured in Falklands ad - May 09, 2012
Tags: air force news, archipelago, argentine republic, argentines, british victory, britons, circumstance, falkland islands, falklands, foreign minister, land and sea, london feb, malvinas, military duties, military presence, national territories, prince william, raf, sea areas, unease