Argentina hopeful of medals from football, hockey and basketballJuly 24th, 2008 - 4:10 pm ICT by IANS
By Shan Lei
Beijing, July 24 (Xinhua) Argentina’s best chance to bag medals from Beijing Games will be from basketball, soccer and field hockey. Argentina won two gold medals, the men’s soccer and men’s basketball, and four bronze medals at the 2004 Athens Games.
Most members of the defending basketball champion team will compete in Beijing and Argentina is one of the hottest teams to win the men’s basketball title.
Houston Rockets’ rookie Luis Scola and Chicago Bulls’ Andres Nocioni are still the centre piece of the Argentina’s squad, while team leader Manu Ginobili is waiting for the final decision on his injury to compete here.
Argentina soccer sensation Lionel Messi will lead the team to retain the gold medal in Beijing. The team will also have Manchester United forward Carlos Tevez and Liverpool’s Javier Mascherano.
Basketball and soccer are the best hopes for Argentina to win the gold medals at the Beijing Olympics, while women’s field hockey vowed to break through this time.
Luciana Aymar, tagged as Maradona of Hockey, will lead an experienced team which won silver at the 2000 Sydney Olympics and bronze at the 2004 Athens.
They lost to the Netherlands 4-2 on penalty strokes in the semi-finals in Athens four years ago, and beat China 1-0 to take the third placing. Five newcomers have been added and the team is seeking nothing but the gold medal in August.
Besides team events, Argentina will also take part in swimming, sailing and tennis.
World No. 7 tennis player David Nalbandian will lead the charge in the tennis event. He missed the Athens Games because of injury and this time he recovered from another arm injury to give the charge in Beijing.
- Spain, Argentina bring high hopes to Olympic basketball - Jul 28, 2012
- Latam nations aim for more medals at London Olympics - Jul 28, 2012
- China plays down expectations for dominance at Olympics - Jul 26, 2012
- Dywer, Aymar win international hockey awards - Nov 13, 2010
- Natasha Keller German flag bearer at opening ceremony - Jul 26, 2012
- US women eye 5th straight Olympic basketball gold - Jul 09, 2012
- Indian athletes' London tryst amid soaring expectations - Jul 26, 2012
- Rowing world champion Drysdale eyes maiden Olympic gold - Jul 26, 2012
- Rani, 15, nominated for FIH award - Oct 28, 2010
- Gymnast Teng pulls out of Olympics - Jul 26, 2012
- Indian sportspersons have gone to London thinking of gold - Jul 25, 2012
- Russia backs all 24 shooters to win Olympic medals - Jun 26, 2012
- Olympics: India on a medal count - Jul 27, 2012
- India's Sardara, Rani in hockey All Star squads - Dec 18, 2010
- China can't reach Beijing gold haul in London, says official - Apr 20, 2012
Tags: 2000 sydney olympics, andres nocioni, argentina soccer, athens games, basketball champion, basketball title, beijing olympics, bronze medals, carlos tevez, champion team, david nalbandian, five newcomers, gold medals, hockey argentina, houston rockets, javier mascherano, lionel messi, luis scola, manu ginobili, penalty strokes