Argentina held by Ecuador 1-1 in World Cup qualifiersJune 16th, 2008 - 1:51 pm ICT by IANS
Buenos Aires, June 16 (DPA) Ecuador upset Argentina with a 1-1 draw in the South American qualifiers for the 2010 football World Cup in South Africa. However, things could have been much worse for Argentina, two-time World Cup winner, since Rodrigo Palacio only made things 1-1 three minutes into injury time in the second half here Sunday.
Ecuador had pulled ahead with a long-distance goal from midfielder Patricio Urrutia in the 68th minute and then sought to defend its advantage by retreating into its half of the pitch. Palacio’s goal denied the Ecuadorians the full prize.
Argentina is now set to travel to Brazil - who lost 2-0 in Paraguay Sunday - to play its arch rival Wednesday in Belo Horizonte.
Palacio stressed the Argentines will go to Brazil “looking for a good result,” while Lionel Messi was more explicit.
“Now more than ever we need the points,” he said. “We have to go there to win.”
Of the game against Ecuador, Messi noted that the host team “knew it would be this hard” and complained that the state of the pitch at El Monumental stadium in the Argentine capital did not help their efforts.
Argentina stand second in the qualifiers, with 10 points in five games. Ecuador remain far from positions that give access to the 2010 World Cup, with four points, and are set to host Colombia Wednesday.
- Argentina remain on top despite 1-1 draw - Sep 12, 2012
- Brazil gets World Cup berth with 3-1 win in Argentina - Sep 06, 2009
- Argentina, Ecuador win opening FIFA World Cup qualifiers - Oct 08, 2011
- Qualifying first is not important: Messi - Sep 08, 2012
- Argentina lose again, Paraguay seal World Cup berth - Sep 10, 2009
- Argentina face Paraguay in World Cup qualifier - Sep 07, 2012
- Argentina tackle crucial match as they look over abyss - Oct 09, 2009
- Argentina lose again; Paraguay seal World Cup berth (Roundup) - Sep 10, 2009
- Chile qualifies for World Cup, Argentina back on track - Oct 11, 2009
- 2010 World Cup: Brazil win, Argentina stumble in qualifiers - Jun 11, 2009
- Brazil stumbles with 1-1 draw against Ecuador - Mar 30, 2009
- Di Maria to miss World Cup qualifiers due to injury - Nov 08, 2011
- Brazil, Argentina win in tight World Cup qualifiers (South American Roundup) - Jun 07, 2009
- Messi choreographs Argentina's 1-0 victory over gritty Venezuela (Lead) - Sep 03, 2011
- Argentina qualify for World Cup; Uruguay go to play-off - Oct 15, 2009
Tags: arch rival, argentine capital, argentines, belo horizonte, buenos aires, ecuadorians, five games, football world cup, four points, host team, injury time, lionel messi, pitch, rodrigo palacio, south american qualifiers, three minutes, time world, urrutia, world cup qualifiers, world cup winner