Are Biden’s gaffes straining his relations with Obama?May 23rd, 2009 - 6:07 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, May 23 (ANI): Right after his November election as the US
Vice-President, a series of blunders have dogged down Joe Biden. The
latest question being asked in Washington circles is-Have Biden’s faux
pas strained his relations with President Barack Obama?
Biden’s aides are having a tough time defending their vice president’s goof-ups, as also his relationship with Obama, The Politico reports.
A book by Newsweek’s Richard Wolffe quoted his senior aide as saying, “Biden can’t keep his mouth shut.”
According to the paper, Obama scolded Biden after he made an inappropriate joke to White House senior adviser Valerie Jarrett about her abortive bid to fill Obama’s Senate seat, which got caught up in scandal after Illinois Governor Rod Blagojevich allegedly tried to sell it.
Jarrett, however, defended Biden by saying that she was not offended by his remarks.
“Any suggestion that I was insulted by the vice president’s gracious comments regarding my potential for public service is ridiculous,” Jarrett said in an e-mail. “I was very flattered by his kind words at the time and enjoy working closely with him in the White House.”
The White House also rejected reports on Obama and Biden’s strained relations.
“The president’s own comments and the major tasks he’s put on the vice president’s plate speak volumes. A blind quote from a ’senior aide’ should be given the proper weight: zero,” Biden’s spokeswoman Elizabeth Alexander told the site.
Although his aides stress that Obama relies on Biden as a confidant and that the two are close, but doubts continue to surface.
Known for his gaffes, Biden has repeatedly forced the administration to defend his remarks.
Recently, he was accused of disclosing the location of a classified bunker. Earlier, the White House had to step in after Biden sparked a furor when he said he was advising his family to avoid confined spaces because of swine flu.
Obama himself has publicly reined in Biden. When the vice president made a joke after Chief Justice John Roberts botched Obama’s swearing-in, the president placed his hand on Biden and shook his head, the report adds.
At his first news conference, Obama was asked about comments Biden had made concerning the potential success of the $787 billion stimulus package. Obama laughed.
“You know, I don’t remember exactly what Joe was referring to,” he said, “not surprisingly.” (ANI)
- Biden says Taliban isn't US enemy - Dec 20, 2011
- Vice President Joe Biden visits Mexico - Mar 05, 2012
- Joe Barton's Apology To BP CEO Backfires - Jun 18, 2010
- US taking 9/11 threat seriously: Biden - Sep 09, 2011
- Rumors abound that Hillary Clinton might replace Joe Biden as the VP - Oct 08, 2010
- White House releases Obama, Biden's tax returns - Apr 14, 2012
- US policemen honoured by Obama - May 13, 2012
- Female staff in Obama White House felt edged out: New book - Sep 20, 2011
- US vice president now on Twitter - Jul 05, 2011
- Obama visits Norway ambassador's house to pay respect - Jul 27, 2011
- The man in the pink turban sets twitter ablaze (With Image) - Feb 26, 2012
- Chinese vice-president meets US president - Feb 15, 2012
- Indian-American father-son duo quits Obama Administration - Feb 01, 2012
- Obama appeals against violence in Egypt - Jan 30, 2011
- "I never get late in appointment with a General", says Biden, referring to Gen Kayani - Jan 13, 2011
Tags: aides, barack obama, blunders, confidant, e mail, elizabeth alexander, furor, gaffes, goof ups, governor rod blagojevich, illinois governor, joe biden, newsweek, rod blagojevich, senate seat, spokeswoman, swine flu, ups, us vice president, valerie