Arctic melting reaches record levelOctober 17th, 2008 - 4:10 pm ICT by IANS
Washington, Oct 17 (DPA) Ice in the Arctic summer sea has been melting at almost record levels amid general temperature increases, according to an expert report.The review by the US National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) released Thursday warns that the Arctic’s continued warming shows the dramatic effects of climate change even more than other regions.
Autumn air temperatures were a record 5 degrees Celsius above normal due to the amount of sea ice lost in recent years, according to the report.
“Changes in the arctic show a domino effect from multiple causes more clearly than in other regions,” James Overland, oceanographer at the NOAA’s Pacific Marine Environmental Laboratory and lead author of the report, told journalists.
The arctic is “a sensitive system and often reflects changes in relatively fast and dramatic ways,” he added.
The loss of sea ice itself leads to further warming of the ocean, which together with rising air temperatures, affects land and marine life, the report said.
The year 2007 had been the warmest recorded since the trend of warming in the Arctic had begun in the mid-1960s.
Surface ice in Greenland has also been melting at higher rates this year, compared to 2007, prompting the NOAA to raise its warning from “yellow” to “red” in its annual report card on the effects of warming in the Arctic.
- Arctic changes could spell dire consequences - Jan 31, 2012
- Arctic ice melt prelude to severe winters - Jun 07, 2012
- NOAA: June was the warmest month since 1880 - Jul 19, 2010
- Arctic Ocean water is 'warmest it's been for more than 2,000 years' - Feb 01, 2011
- 2010 warmest year on record: UN weather agency - Jan 21, 2011
- Melting glaciers on Arctic islands play major role in rise of sea level - Apr 21, 2011
- Antarctic ice shelf faces threat from warm waters - May 10, 2012
- Alarm bells over Greenland ice melt - Oct 26, 2011
- Warming oceans drive largest movement of marine species - Jun 26, 2011
- Arctic region warming fastest on earth - Jul 04, 2011
- Melting ice in Canadian Arctic bigger player in sea-level rise - Apr 22, 2011
- Arctic sea ice shrinks to smallest ever - Aug 28, 2012
- Rapid Ice Melting In The Arctic Region Raises Concern - Sep 17, 2010
- Arctic ice could be gone by 2030, warns US researchers - Sep 16, 2010
- Arctic sea ice hits second-lowest level - Oct 05, 2011