ArcelorMittal to boost steel production capacity in BrazilAugust 8th, 2008 - 1:19 pm ICT by IANS
Luxembourg, Aug 8 (IANS) ArcelorMittal, the world’s leading steel company, is to invest $1.6 billion in its long carbon steel operations in Brazil. The investments are in addition to the $1.2 billion of investments previously announced in respect of the expansion of the Monlevade plant in Minas Gerais, the company announced Thursday.
These investments will expand ArcelorMittal’s crude steel production capacity in the long carbon sector in Brazil by an additional 2.6 million tonnes, representing an increase from 3.9 million tonnes per year to 6.5 million.
The investment is expected to be completed within 30 months, ArcelorMittal said.
Separately, the works to increase the capacity of the Monlevade plant have commenced and should also be completed within 30 months.
ArcelorMittal anticipates up to 6,000 people will be employed during the peak construction phase of this project. As a result of the capacity expansion at Monlevade, 400 additional direct jobs will be created at the plant which currently has 1200 employees.
Gonzalo Urquijo, ArcelorMittal board member responsible for Long Products, said: “Our growth plans at Monlevade along with this additional investment of $1.6 billion is an integral part of the investment programme for our Brazilian operations, focusing on all the main long product lines.
“The increase in production capacity, particularly in the production of wire rod, bars and rebars as well as structural sections, recognises the important growth potential of the domestic market and our commitment to investing in Brazil.”
- Jharkhand considering MoU renewal for ArcelorMittal steel plant - Aug 01, 2012
- ArcelorMittal to invest $5 bn in new steel mill in Brazil - Nov 06, 2009
- ArcelorMittal changes India strategy, focus on smaller units - Sep 16, 2010
- ArcelorMittal set to buy Canadian iron ore company for $433 million - Dec 16, 2010
- ArcelorMittal Liberia announces first iron ore shipment - Mar 20, 2012
- ArcelorMittal, partner nearing absolute control of Baffinland - Feb 08, 2011
- Steel giants Arcelor and POSCO gear up for new ventures in Karnataka - Jan 08, 2010
- Posco relents, to set up steel plant in Karnataka - Jun 04, 2010
- Mexican bottler to build $140 mn plant in Brazil - Dec 07, 2011
- S&P; cuts ArcelorMittal ratings to junk status - Aug 03, 2012
- ArcelorMittal plans to set up steel plant in Karnataka - Nov 27, 2009
- ArcelorMittal says it won't extend Canadian takeover offer - Dec 23, 2010
- Arcelor-Mittal signs $6 bn credit facility agreement - Mar 22, 2011
- ArcelorMittal to buy Brazilian mining company - Aug 20, 2008
- Arcelor, partner in virtual takeover of iron-ore giant - Feb 19, 2011
Tags: 5 million, 6 million, board member, brazil, brazilian operations, capacity expansion, carbon steel, construction phase, crude steel production, investments, jobs, luxembourg, minas gerais, rebars, steel company, steel operations