ArcelorMittal steelworkers strike in RomaniaApril 14th, 2008 - 8:11 pm ICT by admin
Bucharest, April 14 (DPA) More than 3,000 ArcelorMittal steelworkers in Romania walked off their jobs Monday demanding higher pay, marking the country’s second major industrial strike in less than a month. Management at the steel pipe plant in Galati is offering about 12 percent more pay. The Solidaritatea union, representing some 3,800 workers, is seeking nearly three times that much, the Mediafax news agency reported.
Two other unions have accepted the offer by the world’s largest steelmaker.
About 13,800 people work at the plant, which Mittal bought from the Romanian government in 2001 before the Indian-based steelmaker merged his company with Arcelor of Luxembourg.
On Friday, some 13,000 workers at Renault SA’s Dacia unit ended a nearly three-week strike after winning pay raises and a profit-sharing pledge from the automaker.
Under the deal, Renault’s Romanian workers get an extra 300 lei (130 dollars) a month retroactive to Jan 1 and another 60-lei (26-dollar) raise in September.
- ArcelorMittal to idle Romanian plant - Nov 11, 2008
- Belgian trade union files complaint against ArcelorMittal - Feb 21, 2012
- ArcelorMittal Liberia announces first iron ore shipment - Mar 20, 2012
- Jharkhand considering MoU renewal for ArcelorMittal steel plant - Aug 01, 2012
- Steel giants Arcelor and POSCO gear up for new ventures in Karnataka - Jan 08, 2010
- Lakshmi Mittal replaces Mukesh Ambani as world's richest Indian - Mar 10, 2011
- ArcelorMittal set to buy Canadian iron ore company for $433 million - Dec 16, 2010
- Posco relents, to set up steel plant in Karnataka - Jun 04, 2010
- ArcelorMittal says it won't extend Canadian takeover offer - Dec 23, 2010
- ArcelorMittal forced to up bid for Canadian iron-ore giant - Dec 20, 2010
- ArcelorMittal to invest $5 bn in new steel mill in Brazil - Nov 06, 2009
- Renault-Nissan's Indian plant to cater to Danone's mega order - Jul 05, 2012
- S&P; cuts ArcelorMittal ratings to junk status - Aug 03, 2012
- ArcelorMittal faces labour trouble in Canada - Jul 13, 2009
- Malay Mukherjee steps down from ArcelorMittal board - Sep 01, 2009
Tags: april 14, arcelor, arcelormittal, automaker, bucharest, dacia, dpa, extra 300, galati, news agency, pay raises, pipe plant, pledge, romania, romanian government, romanian workers, steel pipe, steelmaker, steelworkers strike, three times