ArcelorMittal increases stake in Australia’s Macarthur CoalJune 30th, 2008 - 12:32 pm ICT by IANS
By Neena Bhandari
Sydney, June 30 (IANS) ArcelorMittal has increased its shareholding in Australia’s Macarthur Coal Limited to 19.9 per cent by purchasing a further 5 per cent interest from Talbot Group Holdings, owned by Ken Talbot. ArcelorMittal said the shares were purchased at $AUD20 bringing the company’s total investment in Macarthur Coal to AUD$843 million.
Macarthur Coal Chairman Keith De Lacy said in a statement Monday: “We are pleased with ArcelorMittal’s continued support and look forward to continuing our long term relationship with them as a major customer.”
ArcelorMittal had paid A$604 million for a 14.9 per cent stake in Queensland-based Macarthur Coal in May, but earlier this month talks with Macarthur for a possible takeover had ended without a deal.
Ken Talbot stepped aside last week as a director of Macarthur Coal, an Australian coal company developing a new generation of coal assets in Queensland’s Bowen Basin.
The acquisition of this holding is in line with ArcelorMittal’s strategy of securing its supply of raw materials, in this case through the acquisition of a stake in Macarthur, which is a key supplier of low volatile pulverised coal injection (PCI) coal to the steel mills of Asia, Europe and the Americas. It provides approximately 44 per cent of the low volatile PCI coal exported from Australia
- ArcelorMittal, Posco buy stakes in Oz mining firm - Jun 30, 2008
- Arcelor-Mittal acquires nearly 15 percent stake of Australian coal giant Macarthur - May 21, 2008
- ArcelorMittal, partner nearing absolute control of Baffinland - Feb 08, 2011
- ArcelorMittal again gets nod from Canadian company for takeover - Jan 05, 2011
- Now ArcelorMittal joins rival in joint bid for Canadian ore co. - Jan 15, 2011
- ArcelorMittal hikes bid for Canadian iron ore giant - Jan 01, 2011
- ArcelorMittal again extends bid for Canadian ore company - Jan 11, 2011
- Arcelor, partner in virtual takeover of iron-ore giant - Feb 19, 2011
- Jharkhand considering MoU renewal for ArcelorMittal steel plant - Aug 01, 2012
- ArcelorMittal, partner buy more Baffinland stock - Feb 02, 2011
- Rival betters ArcelorMittal's offer for Toronto mining company - Jan 03, 2011
- ArcelorMittal sticks to offer deadline as rival raises bid - Dec 30, 2010
- ArcelorMittal forced to up bid for Canadian iron-ore giant - Dec 20, 2010
- ArcelorMittal bid goes before Canadian regulators - Dec 22, 2010
- ArcelorMittal set to buy Canadian iron ore company for $433 million - Dec 16, 2010
Tags: arcelormittal, asia europe, australian coal, bhandari, bowen basin, coal assets, coal company, coal injection, de lacy, long term relationship, macarthur coal, neena, new generation, queensland, raw materials, shareholding, stake, steel mills, takeover, talbot group