Arab ministers meet in Kuwait to discuss Gaza fightingJanuary 16th, 2009 - 4:15 pm ICT by IANS
Kuwait City, Jan 16 (Xinhua) Arab foreign ministers kicked off an emergency meeting here Friday, with the situation in the Gaza Strip under unprecedented Israeli attacks topping the agenda. The foreign ministers are also expected to study the agenda of the upcoming Arab economic, development and social summit scheduled for Jan 19-20 in the Kuwaiti capital.
The emergency meeting in Kuwait, the second one in half a month, was called upon by Qatar to address the Gaza offensive, which Israel said was aimed at retaliating rocket attacks by the Islamist militant group Hamas that controls the impoverished coastal enclave since June 2007.
On Monday, Arab League Secretary General Amr Moussa said the Kuwait meeting would examine the developments related to Israel’s refusal to abide by UN Security Council Resolution 1860 that calls for an immediate ceasefire in Gaza.
The first emergency meeting of Arab foreign ministers on Gaza was held in Cairo Dec 31, four days after Israel launched the military operation, which has so far killed over 1,077 Palestinians and wounded 5,000 others.
- Arab League chief calls for breaking Gaza siege - Jun 13, 2010
- Arab League to ask UN to impose no-fly zone over Gaza - Apr 11, 2011
- Saudi foreign minister calls for immediate Gaza ceasefire (Second Lead) - Jan 16, 2009
- Gaza to top Arab economic summit agenda (Lead) - Jan 16, 2009
- Thousands of Palestinians, aid cross Egypt's border with Gaza - Jun 12, 2010
- Dozens of Palestinians wounded in clashes with Israeli soldiers - Mar 31, 2012
- Netanyahu, Mubarak discuss proximity talks in Egypt - May 03, 2010
- Palestinian reconciliation unlikely in 2012: Hamas official - Mar 31, 2012
- Palestinians to apply for UN status despite pressure: Abbas - Sep 08, 2012
- Hamas, Fatah sign reconciliation deal - May 05, 2011
- Doha summit urges Arabs to suspend ties with Israel - Jan 17, 2009
- Gadaffi accepts Chavez's mediation offer - Mar 03, 2011
- Arab League for direct Israeli-Palestinian peace talks - Jul 30, 2010
- Israel should open Gaza crossings: EU - Jul 19, 2010
- Arab League to hold emergency meeting to discuss Gaza - Dec 28, 2008
Tags: amr, amr moussa, arab economic development, arab league secretary general, arab ministers, ceasefire, enclave, foreign ministers, gaza strip, israeli attacks, jan 19, kuwait city, league secretary, militant group, military operation, rocket attacks, security council resolution, social summit, un security council, xinhua