Arab League urges UNSC to impose no-fly zone on LibyaMarch 13th, 2011 - 1:37 pm ICT by ANI
Riyadh, Mar 13 (ANI): The Arab League has urged the United Nations Security Council to impose a no-fly zone on Libya, increasing pressure on Europe and the US to take firm action against the regime of the regime of Colonel Muammar Gaddafi.
The move by ministers from the 22-nation League was made after emergency talks in Cairo over concerns that Gaddafi’s jets and tanks are regaining power over rebels in the eastern parts of Libya.
Officials said the body had already been in touch with the rebels about the situation on the ground, The Telegraph reports.
Before the meeting, Arab League secretary general Amr Moussa had
Amr Moussa, the secretary general of the Arab League and one of its most influential diplomats, had gave his support for the air exclusion zone, saying it was the only way to protect Libyans from Gaddafi’s “disdainful” regime.
In a statement after a six-hour long meeting, he added: “The Arab League has officially requested the United Nations Security Council to impose a no-fly zone against any military action against the Libyan people.”
“I do not know who will impose this zone, nor how, that remains to be seen. I am talking about a humanitarian action. It consists, with a no-fly zone, of supporting the Libyan people in their fight for freedom against a regime that is more and more disdainful,” he said.
His comments came as the Gaddafi regime declared victory in the battle for the oil port of Ras Lanuf in eastern Libya, where it had fought with artillery, tanks, ships and planes to push out rebels from the area. (ANI)
- Rebels warns of 'catastrophe' if Libyan forces attack Benghazi city - Mar 13, 2011
- Gaddafi troops take control of Ras Lanuf - Mar 12, 2011
- France, Britain ready to hit Libya, says Sarkozy - Mar 11, 2011
- Libyan rebels warn of a 'fight till death' with Gaddafi's loyalists - Mar 14, 2011
- West bombs Libya, Gaddafi vows 'long drawn war' (Roundup) - Mar 20, 2011
- UN chief urges Libya to end violence against civilians - Mar 21, 2011
- Libya action by International Coalition criticized - Mar 21, 2011
- Fresh attack on rebel-held oil terminal in Libya - Mar 09, 2011
- Fighting engulfs Libya as Gaddafi offers bounty for opposition leader (Lead) - Mar 10, 2011
- Arab League states seek suspension of Syria - Jun 15, 2011
- International meet in Cairo to discuss Libya crisis - Apr 14, 2011
- Qatar to join foreign air raids on Libya - Mar 21, 2011
- Libya declares ceasefire, but sad over UN decision (Lead) - Mar 18, 2011
- Libyan rebels council seeks Arab League recognition - Mar 12, 2011
- Gaddafi warns of ending cooperation with EU - Mar 11, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,