Arab League to hold emergency meeting to discuss GazaDecember 28th, 2008 - 8:52 am ICT by IANS
Cairo, Dec 28 (Xinhua) The Arab League will hold an emergency meeting next Wednesday to discuss the latest Israeli-Palestinian violence in the Gaza Strip that left more than 200 people dead.Secretary General of the 22-member Arab League, Amr Moussa, told reporters that foreign ministers of the group would hold an emergency meeting to discuss the situation following the Israeli air strikes in Gaza.
The group based here also called for an urgent meeting of the UN Security Council to discuss the issue after a meeting of its permanent members here Saturday.
Israel Saturday launched air strikes against the Hamas-led militant groups in the Gaza Strip.
Palestinian officials said at least 225 people were killed and around 750 others wounded in the attacks.
Meanwhile, Hamas has vowed to intensify rocket attacks and suicide bombings against Israel.
An hour after the Israeli air strike, militants in Gaza bombed southern Israeli towns with rockets, killing at least one woman.
Israel’s Prime Minister Ehud Olmert Saturday evening said the military operation in Gaza would continue till the situation in the southern Israeli towns and cities that are hit by Hamas’ rocket attacks normalise.
Egypt Saturday opened its Rafah crossing on the Gaza border to shift the wounded Palestinians to hospitals in the country.
- Israeli planes attack Hamas sites in Gaza - Feb 26, 2011
- Israeli jets raid Gaza - Feb 12, 2012
- Five Palestinians killed in Israeli airstrike - Oct 30, 2011
- Seven mortar shells fired from Gaza Strip into Israel - Dec 21, 2010
- Israel fires at two Palestinians on Gaza border - Jan 18, 2011
- Israeli air strike kills one Palestinian in Gaza - Jan 12, 2011
- Israeli planes strike Gaza - Sep 16, 2010
- One killed after Israeli air strikes hit the Gaza Strip in response to rocket fire - Aug 17, 2011
- Israeli jets hit Hamas targets in Gaza, nine hurt - Jul 31, 2010
- US concerned about attacks in Israel - Mar 11, 2012
- Israel will hit anyone planning to attack its citizens: PM - Mar 11, 2012
- Hamas hails decision to permanently open Rafah border crossing - May 27, 2011
- Israeli airstrikes wound 10 in Gaza - Mar 20, 2010
- Israel bombs three Gaza tunnels - Sep 30, 2009
- 15 injured in Israeli airstrikes in Gaza - May 26, 2010