Arab League to discuss turmoil in Middle East, North AfricaMarch 2nd, 2011 - 12:35 pm ICT by IANS
Cairo, March 2 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Foreign ministers of the Arab League countries will meet in Cairo to discuss the ongoing political crisis in the Middle East and North Africa.
The meeting of the 22-member group Wednesday will focus on the situation in Libya where embattled leader Muammar Gaddafi is trying to crush a two-week-old popular uprising.
The ministers are expected to vote on a draft resolution which opposes foreign military intervention in Libya, calls for unity of the country, and approves sending humanitarian aid to the North African nation.
The international community has already condemned the violence by Libyan authorities, who have reportedly killed up to 2,000 people in clashes between protesters and Gaddafi’s supporters.
The agenda of the upcoming meeting also includes the situation in Tunisia and Egypt, where the recent revolutions led to the collapse of the previous regimes.
Mass public protests swept a number of other countries in the region, including Yemen, Bahrain, Oman, and Iran. The current unrest forces the Arab nations to take urgent steps to resolve the crisis.
- Russia, China to cooperate on Middle East, North Africa - May 06, 2011
- Libya on brink of civil war: Medvedev - Mar 04, 2011
- Gaddafi's regime illegitimate: GCC - Mar 11, 2011
- Libyan rebels council seeks Arab League recognition - Mar 12, 2011
- Egypt to extradite Gaddafi supporters - Mar 16, 2012
- Nicaragua denies receiving asylum request from Gaddafi - Mar 04, 2011
- Hundreds of Libyan refugees feared dead after ship sinks off Libya - May 10, 2011
- International meet in Cairo to discuss Libya crisis - Apr 14, 2011
- Gaddafi offers $400,000 bounty for Libyan opposition leader - Mar 10, 2011
- Arab world turmoil: Libya tense, sectarian clashes in Bahrain (Roundup) - Mar 04, 2011
- Russia objects to foreign military intervention in Libya - Mar 12, 2011
- Russia sends aid for Libyan refugees - Mar 06, 2011
- Russia, NATO may discuss Libyan crisis - Mar 02, 2011
- EU to unfreeze Libyan banks' assets - Dec 22, 2011
- Gaddafi told endgame is near: Medvedev's envoy to Africa - Jun 14, 2011
Tags: african nation, arab league, arab nations, cairo, clashes, draft resolution, foreign ministers, humanitarian aid, libyan authorities, member group, military intervention, muammar gaddafi, north africa, political crisis, protesters, public protests, revolutions, ria novosti, upcoming meeting, urgent steps