Arab League to ask UN to impose no-fly zone over GazaApril 11th, 2011 - 7:30 am ICT by IANS
Cairo, April 11 (IANS) The Arab League (AL) has said it will ask the UN to consider imposing a no-fly zone over the Gaza Strip to protect the civilians from Israeli air strikes, Xinhua reported.
Gaza strip lies on the Eastern coast of the Mediterranean Sea and borders Egypt on the southwest and Israel on the south, east and north. It is about 41 km long and between six and 12 km wide, with a total area of 360 square km.
The Arab League, in a statement issued after an emergency meeting of the pan-Arab organisation at the permanent delegates’ level in its Cairo headquarter, said Sunday it would ask the UN Security Council to convene an emergency meeting to discuss the Israeli aggression over Gaza to lift the siege and impose a no-fly zone against the Israeli military to protect civilians.
The statement rejected the double standard policies towards the Palestinian case, urging the UN Security Council and the Quartet committee to bear all responsibilities for halting the subsequent massacres and provide an international protection for the unarmed citizens.
The AL also called upon the international community to take all necessary measures and procedures to deter Israel from continuing committing war crimes against humanity.
Arab League Secretary General Amr Moussa said after the meeting that the Arabs’ stand towards the Palestinian cause remains steadfast despite the recent incidents engulfing some Arab countries.
- Arab League urges UNSC to impose no-fly zone on Libya - Mar 13, 2011
- UN chief urges Libya to end violence against civilians - Mar 21, 2011
- Gaddafi troops take control of Ras Lanuf - Mar 12, 2011
- Libya action by International Coalition criticized - Mar 21, 2011
- International meet in Cairo to discuss Libya crisis - Apr 14, 2011
- Arab League for direct Israeli-Palestinian peace talks - Jul 30, 2010
- Libya declares ceasefire, but sad over UN decision (Lead) - Mar 18, 2011
- West bombs Libya, Gaddafi vows 'long drawn war' (Roundup) - Mar 20, 2011
- Qatar to join foreign air raids on Libya - Mar 21, 2011
- Arab League states seek suspension of Syria - Jun 15, 2011
- Russia opposes introduction of no-fly zone in Syria - Jul 07, 2012
- Arab League chief calls for breaking Gaza siege - Jun 13, 2010
- Thousands of Palestinians, aid cross Egypt's border with Gaza - Jun 12, 2010
- Netanyahu, Mubarak discuss proximity talks in Egypt - May 03, 2010
- Hamas hails decision to permanently open Rafah border crossing - May 27, 2011
Tags: air strikes, amr moussa, arab countries, arab league secretary general, crimes against humanity, fly zone, gaza strip, israeli aggression, israeli air, league secretary, massacres, mediterranean sea, necessary measures, palestinian case, palestinian cause, pan arab, recent incidents, un security council, war crimes, xinhua