Arab League chief calls on UN to halt Israel’s Gaza attackDecember 31st, 2008 - 8:01 pm ICT by IANS
Cairo, Dec 31 (DPA) The head of the Arab League urged the United Nations Security Council Wednesday to take immediate action to stop Israeli raids on the Gaza Strip.”We urge the Security Council not to fall under any pressure and take an immediate decision to stop the Israeli attacks on Gaza,” said Arab League Secretary General Amr Mussa at the opening of an emergency meeting of the body.
Decrying the rising number of Palestinian casualties, Mussa asked: “Which ‘magic number’ is the security council waiting for before it will act to put an end to these attacks?”
The emergency meeting took place as Israeli airstrikes continued for the fifth day against the Islamist Hamas movement, which governs the Gaza Strip. The casualty toll in the densely populated salient has reached almost 390 dead, most of them militants, and 1,800 injured.
Mussa also called upon Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas to appeal to the Security Council, which he charged with passively waiting for Israel to strike targets before taking any action.
The Arab League leader also called on the Palestinian factions - largely divided between Gaza and the West Bank - to put their disputes aside and unite.
“Israel’s air raids are destroying Gaza, and Israel’s settlements are taking over the West Bank,” Mussa said.
Mussa further criticized both sides of the conflict, accusing the Israeli government of beginning the offensive to improve its chances ahead of elections, and indirectly criticizing Hamas, saying that there had to be “responsible” resistance.
- Arab League to ask UN to impose no-fly zone over Gaza - Apr 11, 2011
- Dozens of Palestinians wounded in clashes with Israeli soldiers - Mar 31, 2012
- Palestinian reconciliation unlikely in 2012: Hamas official - Mar 31, 2012
- Seize Israeli soldiers to swap for Palestinian prisoners: Hamas - Oct 07, 2011
- Israeli planes attack Hamas sites in Gaza - Feb 26, 2011
- Arab League chief calls for breaking Gaza siege - Jun 13, 2010
- Netanyahu, Mubarak discuss proximity talks in Egypt - May 03, 2010
- Israel decides to ease Gaza land blockade (Lead) - Jun 17, 2010
- Five Palestinians killed in Israeli airstrike - Oct 30, 2011
- Israel may resolve Middle East crisis unilaterally: Minister - May 31, 2012
- Israeli air strike kills one Palestinian in Gaza - Jan 12, 2011
- Thousands of Palestinians, aid cross Egypt's border with Gaza - Jun 12, 2010
- Israeli jets hit Hamas targets in Gaza, nine hurt - Jul 31, 2010
- Around 16,500 Palestinians cross Egypt's border with Gaza - Jun 25, 2010
- Palestinians not optimistic about peace with new Israeli government - May 09, 2012
Tags: arab league secretary general, gaza attack, hamas movement, mahmoud abbas, nations security council, palestinian factions, palestinian president mahmoud, palestinian president mahmoud abbas, president mahmoud abbas, united nations security council