Arab divisions harm Iraq, says Iraqi PMMarch 30th, 2009 - 11:32 pm ICT by IANS
Doha, March 30 (DPA) Iraqi Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki Monday said divisions among Arab states “harm Iraq”, and called on Arab countries to play a greater role in rebuilding his war-ravaged country.
“We call for the adoption of a common Arab strategy based on a partnership of all the Arab family,” al-Maliki told an Arab League summit in Qatar. “We are against the policy of alliances which runs against a unified Arab position … and harms Iraq.”
He called on more Arab countries to re-open their embassies in Baghdad and to forgive debts incurred by former Iraqi President Saddam Hussein.
In a visit to Baghdad earlier this month, Arab League Secretary General Amr Mussa also called on more member states to re-open their embassies in Baghdad.
Many Arab states closed their embassies following the US-led invasion in 2003, citing security concerns. Others temporarily closed their embassies after insurgents targeted them with bomb attacks.
- Iran hails Iraq's 'growing influence' - Apr 24, 2012
- 23 protesters killed in Iraq's 'Day of Rage' - Feb 26, 2011
- Iraq to help in solving Syrian crisis - Jul 11, 2012
- Last US troops out of Iraq (Lead) - Dec 18, 2011
- Iraq shares concern over Syrian issue: Annan (Lead) - Jul 11, 2012
- Former prime minister Allawi's list wins Iraqi polls - Mar 27, 2010
- UAE foreign minister visits Iraq - Feb 17, 2012
- US condemns Iraq bombings - Mar 21, 2012
- Iraq, UAE to strengthen bilateral ties - Feb 04, 2011
- Main battle against terror ends: Iraqi PM - Aug 07, 2012
- US, Iraqi officials talk relations after troops drawdown - Oct 29, 2011
- Quran written in Saddam's blood locked in Baghdad - Dec 21, 2010
- Iraqi PM courts Sunni tribal leaders - Aug 11, 2009
- Radical Islamic cleric al-Sadr urges Iraqis to 'resist occupier US with all means' - Jan 08, 2011
- Terrorists trying to undermine Iraq's poll process: Italian minister - Dec 09, 2009
Tags: alliances, amr, arab countries, arab family, arab league secretary general, arab league summit, arab states, baghdad, bomb attacks, dpa, embassies, former iraqi president saddam hussein, insurgents, iraqi president, league secretary, member states, nouri al maliki, president saddam hussein, prime minister nouri al maliki, security concerns