Arab diplomat mugged of 2 mn pounds in LondonJune 28th, 2011 - 10:20 pm ICT by IANS
London, June 28 (IANS) An Arab diplomat was robbed at gunpoint in London after he withdrew two million pounds in cash from a Dubai-based bank, a media report said.
Three masked men ambushed the official as he carried the cash in two suitcases to a chauffeur-driven car in London’s Knightsbridge area, The Sun reported.
One robber reportedly put a gun to his head and said: “Give me the money or I’ll blow your brains out.”
The gunmen fled the scene but were apprehended nearby by the Metropolitan Police’s Diplomatic Protection Group, who had been alerted.
Two suspects surrendered but a third escaped and is still on the run.
The money was withdrawn from the National Bank of Dubai’s London branch reportedly on behalf of a member of Dubai’s royal family - the Al Maktoums.
An official said the robbers may have had inside information.
“It is protocol that cash is withdrawn in advance for a proposed trip by Arab royalty and someone obviously cottoned on to that,” he said.
“The diplomat was being helped by three bank workers to put the cash in a Mercedes when the suspects struck. He phoned the police and the getaway car was stopped by a diplomatic protection crew 20 minutes later.”
- Bale sanitises hands after fan interaction - Jul 21, 2012
- Rs.1.4 million looted from a bank in Chennai - Feb 20, 2012
- Rs.33 lakh looted from bank van - Mar 31, 2012
- Rs.33 lakh looted from bank van (Lead, changing dateline) - Mar 31, 2012
- 'Obama-robber' nabbed in Austria - Apr 01, 2011
- Police gun down five 'robbers' in Chennai (Third Lead) - Feb 23, 2012
- Police gun down five robbers in Chennai (Second Lead) - Feb 23, 2012
- Skateboarder Flees Following San Diego's Comercia Bank Heist - Jul 19, 2010
- Two die in failed robbery - Mar 12, 2012
- Rs.9 mn looted from Karachi bank - Apr 15, 2011
- Cristiano Ronaldo, Kim Kadarshian 'caught snogging' - Apr 16, 2010
- Beckhams 'never take anything for granted' - Oct 10, 2010
- Jennifer Aniston dating Justin Theroux? - May 20, 2011
- UAE sends humanitarian aid for Libyans - Apr 02, 2011
- British military officials using choppers as taxis - Aug 21, 2011
Tags: arab diplomat, bank of dubai, brains, chauffeur driven car, diplomatic protection group, getaway car, gunmen, gunpoint, knightsbridge, london branch, london london, maktoums, metropolitan police, national bank of dubai, robber, robbers, royal family, royalty, two million, two suitcases