Apple releases preview of new Mac operating systemFebruary 17th, 2012 - 1:42 pm ICT by IANS
San Francisco, Feb 17 (IANS) Apple Thursday released a developer preview of the next version of the company’s Macintosh operating system, bringing some popular features from iPhone and iPad to its Mac computer.
The new software, named OS X Mountain Lion, is available to developers as a preview release starting Thursday, and Mac users will be able to upgrade to it in late summer this year, reported Xinhua.
Mountain Lion will include over 100 new features, including Messages, Notes, Reminders and Game Center which are familiar to users of Apple’s mobile devices powered by the iOS
The software, Apple’s first OS X after the company launched its iCloud cloud-computing service, will enable users to easily set up the service and access documents across their devices.
The developer preview of Mountain Lion also introduces Gatekeeper, a security feature that gives users control over which applications can be downloaded and installed on their Macs.
With an eye to the fast growing Chinese market, Mountain Lion also has a number of features specifically designed to support Chinese users, including significant enhancements to the Chinese input method and making Chinese search engine Baidu an option in the Safari web browser, as well as system-wide support for the Chinese micro-blogging service Sina weibo.
“The Mac is on a roll, growing faster than the PC for 23 straight quarters, and with Mountain Lion things get even better,” Philip Schiller, Apple’s senior vice president of worldwide marketing, said in a statement.
Latest numbers from Apple showed that the company sold a record 5.2 million Macs during the fourth quarter of 2011, representing a 26-percent unit increase over the year-ago period.
- Apple introduces new version of computer operating system - Jun 12, 2012
- Apple's iCloud fetches deals with major record labels - Jun 03, 2011
- Google launches 'cloud' service - Apr 25, 2012
- Apple's iPhone 4S sales top four mn in three days - Oct 18, 2011
- Mac OS X Lion to go on sale from July 20 - Jul 20, 2011
- Apple to unveil future of its operating systems - Mar 29, 2011
- Apple releases iTunes Match - Nov 15, 2011
- iPhone 4S sales top 4 mn in first weekend: Apple - Oct 18, 2011
- Milestones in a tech legend's journey - Oct 06, 2011
- Google buys email management software provider - Jul 21, 2012
- Google acquires Nik Software - Sep 18, 2012
- YouTube launches iPhone app with advertisements - Sep 12, 2012
- Apple's iCloud launched for developers - Aug 02, 2011
- Apple asks Russian anti-virus firm to improve OS X security - May 15, 2012
- Google announces cloud-computing service - Jun 29, 2012
Tags: chinese input method, chinese market, chinese search engine, chinese users, computing service, developer preview, game center, ipad, iphone, mac computer, mac operating system, macintosh operating system, mountain lion, preview release, security feature, senior vice president, sina, software apple, straight quarters, worldwide marketing