Apple faces new copyright suit in ChinaJuly 8th, 2012 - 6:59 pm ICT by IANS
Beijing, July 8 (IANS) Apple Inc is facing another lawsuit in China after a company claimed the US giant’s voice technology Siri has infringed on a patent involving its own personal assistant software.
The Shanghai-based Zhizhen Network Technology Co Ltd has sued Apple, asserting that Siri violated one of its patents, the China Daily reported.
The firm’s chairman, Yuan Hui, said Zhizhen, developer of the voice technology called Xiao i Robot, sent a legal notice to Apple in May but received no response.
Zhizhen then filed the suit June 21. A Shanghai court announced June 26 that it will hear the case “quite soon”, according to Yuan.
The move came only days after Apple Inc paid $60 million to Proview Technology to end a protracted legal dispute over the iPad trademark in China.
Zhizhen’s patent covers “a type of instant messaging chat robot system”, according to the database of the country’s State Intellectual Property Office.
The patent was filed Aug 13, 2004. It was approved Feb 15, 2006.
“We have 100 million users in China, and many companies are using our product,” Yuan told the newspaper.
In comparison, Siri Inc, essentially a start-up company Apple acquired in 2010, started producing the mobile virtual assistant in 2007, the paper added.
- Apple's new iPad faces ban in China - Mar 08, 2012
- Chinese retailers stop Apple iPad sales - Feb 18, 2012
- Apple pays $60 mn for iPad trademark in China - Jul 02, 2012
- Apple sues Samsung over Galaxy phones, tablets - Apr 19, 2011
- Samsung has not infringed Apple's key patent: Tokyo court - Aug 31, 2012
- Apple eyes China expansion - Mar 27, 2012
- Stanley Kubrick made the first iPad, claims Samsung - Aug 24, 2011
- Apple gets setback in patent war - Dec 10, 2011
- Apple awarded $1 bn in patent fight with Samsung - Aug 25, 2012
- Nokia sues Apple for infringement of patents with iPad - May 08, 2010
- Samsung seeks sales ban on iPhone 4S in Japan, Australia - Oct 17, 2011
- US Supreme Court hears Microsoft appeal on Word patent - Apr 18, 2011
- Apple wins battle to block Samsung tablets in Australia - Oct 13, 2011
- Samsung did not copy 'cool' Apple iPad: Court - Jul 10, 2012
- Samsung seeks sales ban on iPhone 4S in France, Italy - Oct 05, 2011
Tags: 100 million, 60 million, assistant software, chat robot, china beijing, china daily, i robot, intellectual property office, legal dispute, network technology, proview, robot system, shanghai, siri, start up company, state intellectual property office, technology co, virtual assistant, voice technology, yuan