Apple awarded $1 bn in patent fight with SamsungAugust 25th, 2012 - 10:56 am ICT by IANS
Washington, Aug 25 (IANS) Apple scored a huge victory as a federal jury in California found rival Samsung guilty of “wilful” violations of a number of Apple’s patents and awarded it more than $1 billion in damages.
In giving its verdict Friday, the jury did not recommend awarding Samsung any money in its counterclaims that Apple had violated some of its patents, CNN reported.
While Apple praised the court for “sending a loud and clear message that stealing isn’t right”, Samsung said the verdict should be viewed “as a loss for the American consumer”.
“The mountain of evidence presented during the trial showed that Samsung’s copying went far deeper than even we knew,” Apple said in a statement.
Samsung countered by saying: “It will lead to fewer choices, less innovation, and potentially higher prices.”
Apple had asked for $2.7 billion in damages, claiming that Samsung “ripped off” its iPad and iPhone designs and software for scores of Samsung devices, including the Nexus S 4G and S II.
Samsung countersued Apple for infringing on five of its patents and asked for $519 million.
Commenting on the verdict, CNN said it’s likely to ripple across the entire smart phone industry as the jury found Samsung had infringed on software features like double-tap zooming and scrolling as also hardware style or icon setup on the design front.
As a result of the ruling, Apple could request an injunction against the Samsung devices that were found to have infringed on its patents. That means Samsung could be forced to take those gadgets off the market until they are changed, CNN said.
However, the jury offered one spot of good news for Samsung in ruling that its Galaxy Tab tablets did not infringe on Apple’s design patents for the iPad.
Armed with loads of significant patents now deemed valid in court, Apple could go on to sue other companies — namely, Android maker Google and its hardware partners, CNN said.
(Arun Kumar can be contacted at email@example.com)
- Samsung has not infringed Apple's key patent: Tokyo court - Aug 31, 2012
- Apple gets setback in patent war - Dec 10, 2011
- Apple sues Samsung over Galaxy phones, tablets - Apr 19, 2011
- Stanley Kubrick made the first iPad, claims Samsung - Aug 24, 2011
- Samsung did not copy 'cool' Apple iPad: Court - Jul 10, 2012
- Judge rules that Apple's iPad is cooler than Samsung's Galaxy tablet - Jul 11, 2012
- Samsung seeks sales ban on iPhone 4S in Japan, Australia - Oct 17, 2011
- Apple lawyer claims that Samsung copied iPhone technology - Aug 01, 2012
- Apple mulls settling patent fights with Samsung - Mar 30, 2012
- Apple gizmos facing from S. Korean challengers - Apr 20, 2011
- iPad To Dominate Market For Next Two Years Experts Say - Aug 29, 2010
- Samsung seeks sales ban on iPhone 4S in France, Italy - Oct 05, 2011
- Apple wins battle to block Samsung tablets in Australia - Oct 13, 2011
- Apple faces new copyright suit in China - Jul 08, 2012
- Samsung Galaxy S3 sales top 20 mn - Sep 06, 2012
Tags: 1 billion, 4g, arun kumar, bn, cnn, design patents, double tap, federal jury, google, hardware partners, hardware style, injunction against, ipad, iphone, kuma, nexus, patent fight, ripple, smart phone, software features