Anwar sodomy case: High Court allows three items as DNA evidenceMarch 23rd, 2011 - 5:17 pm ICT by ANI
Kuala Lumpur, Mar.23 (ANI): The Malaysian High Court has now allowed three items to be submitted as DNA evidence in the Anwar Ibrahim sodomy trial.
Anwar, 63, is charged with sodomising his former personal assistant Mohd Saiful Bukhari Azlan, on June 26, 2008.
Earlier, the court had ruled that three items- toothbrush, towel and a mineral water bottle taken from Anwar’s lockup could not be submitted as evidence as they had been obtained via unfair means.
The court has now reversed its decision. Justice Mohd Zabidin Mohd Diah said three items could be tendered as DNA evidence.
However, he dismissed an application compelling Anwar to submit his DNA sample for profiling.
He ruled allowing the submission of three things in light of the investigating and arresting officers’ evidence, the arrest was indeed lawful.
“Detention of the accused can no longer be said to be done illegally. The court allows these items to be tendered as evidence,” The Star qouted him, as saying.
Following the decision, Solicitor-General Mohd Yusof Zainal Abiden asked the court to allow him to call chemist Nor Aidora Saedon and head of police forensic lab in Cheras Supt Hamidon Adnan, to tender their evidence in the court. (ANI)
- Three blasts after Malaysian court acquits Anwar (Lead) - Jan 09, 2012
- Malaysian opposition leader acquitted in sodomy case - Jan 09, 2012
- Sodomy II: Former Malaya Deputy PM Anwar fails to disqualify judge - Dec 06, 2010
- Malaysian opposition leader Anwar faces sodomy trial, again - Feb 03, 2010
- Malay opposition leader Anwar fails to have sodomy charge dropped - Aug 16, 2010
- Malaysian leader hires Indian expert to fight sodomy case - Feb 18, 2010
- Malaysian opposition leader Anwar tries to get judge disqualified - Feb 08, 2010
- Fresh twist in Anwar Ibrahim's sodomy trial - Aug 02, 2010
- Anwar Ibrahim to face trial on sodomy charges - Dec 01, 2009
- Malaysia resents foreign critics of Anwar Ibrahim sodomy trial - Feb 08, 2010
- Anwar Ibrahim to face another trial on sodomy charge - Mar 06, 2009
- Judge cannot carry out punishment: Malaysian court - Jul 07, 2009
- Malaysian opposition leader reveals alibi at sodomy trial - May 31, 2010
- Malay-Indian party chief ordered to furnish evidence on RM60m allegation - Nov 17, 2009
- Malaysian court rejects minister's defamation application against Tamil newspaper - Aug 19, 2010
Tags: adnan, anwar ibrahim, azlan, chemist, cheras, diah, dna evidence, forensic lab, hamidon, kuala lumpur, lockup, mineral water bottle, personal assistant, sodomy trial, solicitor general, submission, supt, toothbrush